Thread: Ilex electronic shutter question(s)

Ilex electronic shutter question(s)

I've been seeing a lot of the Ilex #3 electronic shutters on the big auction site. The vast majority do not come with the control box and are selling for very little money.

My question(s): Does anyone know the correct control voltage to the solenoid? and: What were the fastest speeds that these were physically capable of?

I have a couple of lenses in #3 Acme Synchro shutters (the set & release type, not self cocking). One of them is marked up to 1/200th and the other (a newer model) to 1/150th - Both really top out at about 1/125th on my tester.

I went ahead and did a "buy-it-now" on one for $25.00 (including some unmarked glass) as a "let's see what this puppy can do" project. Making the timing circuit should be very easy, but I'd like to know the proper control voltage so I don't fry the solenoid.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can throw my way.

The nominal voltage rating is 48VDC. Some Melles Griot (successor to Ilex) shutters operated on lower voltages, but as far as I have been able to find out, the Ilex are all high voltage. In operation, a pulse of 192VDC for a 3-5 millisecond duration is applied to open the blades quickly, then a holding voltage of 24VDC keeps the shutter open for the duration of the exposure. The shortest exposure is 1/125 second. The current used is indicated as 4 milliamp maximum. I suppose that refers to the holding voltage, not the pulse.

Ilex (but not Melles Griot) called their controller a "speedcomputer". There seem to have been several versions.

If you send me your mailing address, I'll send you some Melles Griot information on the subject.

Bob - I've been wondering about those, too. Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it comes out.

BTW, I have a backpack frame that holds 4 car batteries, if you're interested. ;-)

My first job was working for the company that made these back in the '70s. I don't remember anything specific about them, but do remember that the timing circuit was a weird discrete affair using a neon bulb as the turn-off trigger at about 80V, and another neon bulb that shined on the first one so the trigger point would be stable (they're light sensitive). The thing was completely non-linear and not too predictable, so all the timing resistors on the speed switch were selected for each unit. We had a big hand made resistor box with a selection switch for each shutter speed. Today a 555 timer circuit would do the same thing far better and the same way every time. I'll assume that early circuit was abandoned as quickly as possible!

Ernest - Thanks, I'll send you my snail mail via email. I assume that they 192v pulse was just a capacitor being discharged. The circuit should be real easy to work out.

Ralph - I'll keep ya'll posted, and no - I ain't luggin' car batteries! :-)

Conrad - A 555 is just what I had in mind.

Everybody - When I get the whole shebang working reliably, I'll publish a web page with the project details (including circuit diagrams & pix).

Thanks for your help!!!