Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac versus PC

Re: Mac versus PC

The failure rate here is 18% and that is only of reported cases. The numbers are from 2006, I think ours died in 2007 or 2008 anyway I'm sure a later survey would show higher values.

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-powe...g5-prices.html

Feel free to research thermal runaway on Mac G5's if you look hard enough it is a pretty well documented issue.

Also a lot of people had the "closed system" water cooling system leak into their computer and short it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    We would, and they're not.

- Leigh

I've owned:

Mac IIci
    Quadra 800
    Quadra 840av
    Power Mac G3
    Power Mac G5
    MacPro 1.1
    MacPro 5.1
    iMac 27"
    MacBook Pro 15"
    MacBookPro 13"

My wife also owns Macs. We've never had a problem. And the last 7 Macs I listed, I still own and they still work.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    The failure rate here is 18% and that is only of reported cases. The numbers are from 2006, I think ours died in 2007 or 2008 anyway I'm sure a later survey would show higher values.

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-powe...g5-prices.html

Feel free to research thermal runaway on Mac G5's if you look hard enough it is a pretty well documented issue.

Also a lot of people had the "closed system" water cooling system leak into their computer and short it out.
    18%? A mere drop in the ocean.

http://gizmodo.com/5576237/dell-know...7-failure-rate

Wow... Really? Personal attacks?

I'll admit that I'm not a computer expert by any means. I can't code or do anything crazy like that.

I do know the term hacker started as a compliment for people who knew how to do really complicated things with computers. Early programmers for example were called hackers. Anyway no I'm not a hacker. Picking a quality CPU cooler is really basic and the difference between stock CPU coolers and better ones is really big. A cooler CPU is going to last longer if it is cooler its just the way it works. IRL most of the time another component would fail or a computer will be taken out of service before that would happen but if I was buying 2 $1500 Xeon chips you can bet it will be upgrading the CPU cooler. Even a $60 mid level cooler would be much better then stock.

I learned about Vapor chambers when the G-force 500 series came out... It was all over Nvidia's site, although I believe sapphire was first to use it. Its actually pretty basic. All of this stuff is pretty basic. I can see though where it would be hard to know of the alternatives to a MAC since nobody else has as large of an advertising budget in this field. If apple came up with the Vaporchamber I bet you'd know about it.

People shouldn't be intimidated by this stuff, its really easy to build your own computer. Maybe its not worth your time, but for most I think it is. For example lets say you can build a computer for $5,000 that is as fast as a $8,000 mac. It might take 8 or more hours is that worth a $3000 savings to you?

I'm just talking about apple here guys don't take it personally

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I could try to be polite, but I'm not going to, so the mods will probably give me a warning.

8x10... you have no clue what you're talking about.

Your obsession with CPU coolers and vapor-cooled video cards brands you as a hacker, period.

I've been designing microprocessor-based equipment since 1975.
    I started using personal computers ten years before the IBM PC was introduced.

In all the computer-based products that I've designed (over 50), and all the computers I've used over the past
    37 years, I've NEVER seen a CPU failure, and I've NEVER used a cooler other than the normal heatsink/fan.

Now go back to playing your dumb-ass video games and stop making derogatory comments about an excellent product line.

You couldn't identify a well-designed computer if you tripped over one.

- Leigh

Yeah dell and HP are probably worse then macs.... Although I use a maybe 15 year old Duel CPU dell with my drum scanner and I have had no issues. I choose an old dell because it is easy to find Windows 2000 drivers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post

I'll admit that I'm not a computer expert by any means. I can't code or do anything crazy like that.
    I'm just talking about apple here guys don't take it personally
    It's your tone and manner that I think most of us are taking offense to.

Yeah I'm sorry I don't mean to come off as a troll. Maybe I am being too strong with my opinion. Maybe I should have titled the thread alternatives to macs to be more politically correct. Of course not being informed of something does not make you an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Dude, with all due respect, you're coming across with a very "holier than thou" attitude. The people on this forum are not idiots. We are from all walks of life - some who are IT professionals, some who don't know the back end of a mouse from a hard drive. But we're not idiots. Myself, I've been working in IT as a software engineer for almost 20 years. I know how to make an informed decision on the hardware I purchase. I'm now a Mac user of 8 years, I didn't choose to move to that platform lightly.

You've had a bad experience with Apple products - hard luck. Some do, I and many others have not. You don't find the price matches the value of the product - myself and many others do.

Please, can you drop the attitude?

Of course not being informed of something does not make you an idiot.
    This is the point. I, and many others, are informed.

you wrote 'I just don't get it. Is it that the buyers of apple computers just don't know better or that they don't want to do any research into quality PC options? '

that's a little insulting to those of us who *do* use Apple computers and *do* know better... that's the attitude that's ruffling feathers here (as well as losing you potential customers)

your computer configuration is best for *you*, and for your needs.

it may be easier for you, and others in the computer field, to design and build your own.... *most* people not only don't care if their computer needs a water cooling system, but have no idea that there are even computers out there that use them.

you are a hobbyist. you care about the technology behind your computer. The vast majority of people don't.... sort of like explaining the in's and out's of wet plate to my mom who can barely use a digital p&s.

I just don't get it. Is it that the buyers of apple computers just don't know better or that they don't want to do any research into quality PC options?
    That is a highly insulting comment, based on an invalid definition of "quality".

You've obviously bought into the gamer-focused advertising hype about needing
    the fastest CPUs and the fastest video cards.

Absolute nonsense, unless you're gaming. Very few real applications will benefit from those differences.
    But the manufacturers sure make lots of $$$ selling them to gullible consumers.

You can find benchmarks to prove any particular advantage you might choose.
    That means nothing in the real world.

As to building PCs, I and many others have been doing that for decades.
    In my case, the O/Ss included CP/M, DOS, Windows, and Linux.

The difference is that we're building machines to actually do work,
    not to brag about how much we spent on the latest and greatest.

As to the "mac only" assumption, I just started using a MacBook Pro about two years ago.
    Before that all my machines were windoze.

I switched because of the extraordinarily poor security of the W$ platforms.
    The Mac OS X is vastly superior in that regard.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.