Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac versus PC

Re: Mac versus PC

Not really... I built that computer because PC's are a better option then Mac's and because my own experience with apple has been pretty horrible...

We purchased a $4,000 apple quad core G5 a number of years ago and the machine was complete crap. There were a number of major design flaws in that model and they apple handled it was very poor. First of all they used "closed system water cooler" which are known by people in the know for lower performance and reliability issues. There were a lot of defective power supplies and motherboard issues in the model as well. The fan controller was software based and when the system was under a high load it would fail so the fans would not speed up to properly cool the system. We started having issues with the computer in less then a year. We must have gone to the apple store a half dozen times and each time they told us to reinstall the operating system. After it got to the point where we could not browse the web without a hardware panic (grey screen of gloom) I started doing research and found out that these type of issues were widespread. Thousands had the same issue and apple was well aware of it the whole time. What apple did about it was delete all the forum posts on their website relating to the issue so that people wouldn't catch on before their apple care expired (apples website is the most censored forum on the internet). We wasted so much time and money on that computer it is unreal. After the applecare expired they just told us we were SOL and to buy a new mac from them. The people at the apple store either new about the problem the whole time or were extremely and inexcusably ignorant of when it came to support of their machines. Apple burned me, big time!

After that I decided to do my own research and to build a quality computer on my own. I'm selling it now only because I need cash for an insane opportunity that I have to purchase 30+ large format lenses (mostly Rodenstock) for much less then wholesale.

I do honestly feel that apple computers are a rip off and that if people were more informed that they would not buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    So what you are really doing with this thread is trying to justify the custom PC you are trying to sell?
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    Not really... I built that computer because PC's are a better option then Mac's and because my own experience with apple has been pretty horrible...
    I do honestly feel that apple computers are a rip off and that if people were more informed that they would not buy them.
    Dude, with all due respect, you're coming across with a very "holier than thou" attitude. The people on this forum are not idiots. We are from all walks of life - some who are IT professionals, some who don't know the back end of a mouse from a hard drive. But we're not idiots. Myself, I've been working in IT as a software engineer for almost 20 years. I know how to make an informed decision on the hardware I purchase. I'm now a Mac user of 8 years, I didn't choose to move to that platform lightly.

You've had a bad experience with Apple products - hard luck. Some do, I and many others have not. You don't find the price matches the value of the product - myself and many others do.

Please, can you drop the attitude?
    Last edited by welly; 20-Jun-2012 at 17:29.

" for much less then wholesale"

And how do you know what the wholesale price is?

Well Bob nothing is secret anymore. Little brother is watching . Power to the people!

As far as pc -vs- apple is concerned, thank God we have choices. The PC os just works for some people just as the apple os works for others. But it seems your bitch is with the hardware. I've been in the IT world for over 30 years. I have seen my fair share of crappy PC boxes as well as Apple boxes. Just as I've seen crappy Schneider lenses and crappy Rodenstock lenses. As they say, people either swear by them or swear at them. Goes for just about anything.

For me to carry on and say all GM products are crap just because I got one lemon would be ridiculous. I replaced it with a Benz. I loved that car and had no problems with it. Others have had problems with theirs. What does that mean? Nothing at all. I sold it and went back to a North American car because it just wasn't "me". The new car runs great. Oh ya, and it's a GM.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

multiplex

when i got and used my first mac it was 1986 ...

why do i use a mac now, kind of what frank said, and i don't see the point of using anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    I could try to be polite, but I'm not going to, so the mods will probably give me a warning.

8x10... you have no clue what you're talking about.

Your obsession with CPU coolers and vapor-cooled video cards brands you as a hacker, period.

I've been designing microprocessor-based equipment since 1975.
    I started using personal computers ten years before the IBM PC was introduced.

In all the computer-based products that I've designed (over 50), and all the computers I've used over the past
    37 years, I've NEVER seen a CPU failure, and I've NEVER used a cooler other than the normal heatsink/fan.

Now go back to playing your dumb-ass video games and stop making derogatory comments about an excellent product line.

You couldn't identify a well-designed computer if you tripped over one.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

8x10 User: If you want to sell your higher-end PC and scanner on this forum you might try not to alienate most of the other people here.

Whenever I pitched new business using the strategy of telling my potential client that his current vendor was no good, all I managed to do was waste both of our time. It doesn't work - prove your value with deeds, not loudness....

so what happened to your g5 .. had mine (G5 quad)for 2 years and sold it for more than i paid for it.....

I bought an intel quad MAC for 600 beans... stuffed it with memory and its the best computer i have ever used... it runs PC applications faster than any PC i have ever seen...

so what really is the problem? .... most people here dont care PC vs MAC

MAC works for me .. I started working with computers in the mid 80s in Alexandria Virginia Heathkit ....

We've got a number of Mac quad G5s that we've been running in our office for years and years doing FCP without a hiccup. Of course, that's not to say that everyone's experience is flawless but if Apple products were as badly designed as our resident expert is suggesting, I think we'd know about it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    ...if Apple products were as badly designed as our resident expert is suggesting, I think we'd know about it by now.
    We would, and they're not.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.