Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon and Commercial Ektar

Fujinon and Commercial Ektar

Hello,

I am looking for another lens for my 8x10. I currently use what I have from my 4x5 days, a Fujinon 180mm. It works fine but is a bit wide so it's time for a new lens. I would like to purchase something around a 300mm and am thinking of either a Fujinon 300 or a Commercial Ektar. Can anyone tell me if there is a distinct difference between the two? I'm know both are great. I'm hoping for a lens that is sharp but also smooth. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Jamie

Drew Wiley

Re: Fujinon and Commercial Ektar

Do you tea or coffee? Big differences here. And you need to be more specific. With Fuji
    you've typically got "W" and "CMW" lenses (big multicoated plastmats in #3 shutter),
    vs the 300 "A" (relatively compact in #1 shutter, big image circle, but relatively rare),
    and then the Fuji "C" (exceptionally compact and lightwt, but a somewhat smaller image
    circle - but OK for 8X10 with conservative movements). There is also the older "L" series,
    a slightly heavy tessar liked by portrait photographers. Someone else can comment on
    the Ektars.

What do you want to use the lens for?

Fujinon's are sharper and have modern shutters. Commercial Ektars have this fantastic old school look to them which I love for portraits. Sharp but not clinically sharp. I own both a 14" Commercial Ektar and a 250mm f/6.7 Fujinon-W. I love both lenses.

Coffee.
    I currently shoot with a fuji "A" 180mm on my 8x10. I also have a 90mm Fujinon SW used with my 4x5. Both razor sharp, so I shoot with the lens wide open to soften things a bit. I use very few movements - mostly raise and lower the front.
    The "L" series sounds nice, I'll looks around. Thank you for your feedback.

I'm currently a backyard photographer - natural light, immediate surroundings with family, dog, or sometimes just a chair. Josef Sudek and Emmett Gowin are heavy favorites. Sounds like the Ektar might be more of what I'm looking for.... thank you for your feedback, very helpful.
    sounds like you have two beautiful lenses.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I LOVE my Kodak CE (12")Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brendan 2010 0002.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	75902

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
    I currently shoot with a fuji "A" 180mm on my 8x10.
    The Fujinon A 180mm shouldn't come close to covering 8x10. Stated I/C is just over 250mm. Are you using it for close-up shooting?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Drew Wiley

The circle of illumination of the 180 stopped down will actually cover 8x10 film at infinity, though the area of decent image quality itself is only a little bigger than 5x7. Maybe the modern equivalent of a Petzval image - fuzzy at the edges and corners. I tried it once on the 8x10 just for fun. Not my cup of tea. But it's a fantastic lens on 4x5 and 6x9.

funkadelic

Ilex made 8.5 and 12" lenses that were to be the replacement for when Kodak quit producing the Commercial Ektar.
    These tend to be less expensive than the Kodaks they replaced.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The circle of illumination of the 180 stopped down will actually cover 8x10 film at infinity, though the area of decent image quality itself is only a little bigger than 5x7. Maybe the modern equivalent of a Petzval image - fuzzy at the edges and corners. I tried it once on the 8x10 just for fun. Not my cup of tea. But it's a fantastic lens on 4x5 and 6x9.
    Thanks, Drew. One of these is on my radar as a travelling lens. Just can't figure out whether I should get rid of my 150mm, my 210mm or both if I am to get one!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky