Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Defense of Depth Article on TOP (re: Shallow Depth of Field Fad)

In the Defense of Depth Article on TOP (re: Shallow Depth of Field Fad)

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...-of-depth.html

Not a fan of the too-digital/dumb/amateur comments that The Online Photographer attracts these days - but John Kennerdell's essay, In the Defense of Depth Article , is quite relevant to many of us here.

I agree with him.

Re: In the Defense of Depth Article on TOP (re: Shallow Depth of Field Fad)

Me too. Shallow DOF is the quick and simple way to isolate the main subject from its environment. It is an equipment based shortcut. A photographer based technique is to use light and composition to do the job. Artists with full control over their images have done this for hundreds of years. Mere money can buy the formats and lenses for shallow DOF. Mastering less esoteric equipment is more admirable.

Beginner

Could not agree more.
    Rød grød med fløde.

I agree wholeheartedly with the author. On the other hand I find many of the absolutist comments from some of the TOP brethren to be as shallow as the current rage of razor thin DOF. Like most things in photography it's a tool to be pulled out when needed to achieve a certain look. To shoot everything either at f64 or f1.2 would soon become a crutch. As with any "crutch" your visual mobility is reduced.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I agree with the author, but not with Jim Jones above. Effective use of dof is a control, not a default. I am at least as bored by the corner to corner, front to back sharpness of small sensor camera, or f/64 school images as I am with the blurry nose and forehead wet plate look.

And I think the author might have missed something in his comparison of photographers of old working towards dof, and contemporary photographers working away from it-- both groups were/are resisting the technical defaults of their equipment. the simple fact that attaining greater dof was more challenging for the old photog's than attaining shallow dof is for modern ones shouldn't distract from the fact that both approaches are fundamentally aesthetic, though mediated by equipment and technique.

All the above being said, I suspect the ultra-shallow dof trend in portraiture is a fad, and fading quickly, along with the soft focus look. And this is coming from one who regularly uses selective focus with SF lenses, though in a more moderated way than many others. The bottom line is that equipment and technique can be tools, or crutches, and it's not always easy to know which.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I agree with the author, but not with Jim Jones above. Effective use of dof is a control, not a default. I am at least as bored by the corner to corner, front to back sharpness of small sensor camera, or f/64 school images as I am with the blurry nose and forehead wet plate look.

And I think the author might have missed something in his comparison of photographers of old working towards dof, and contemporary photographers working away from it-- both groups were/are resisting the technical defaults of their equipment. the simple fact that attaining greater dof was more challenging for the old photog's than attaining shallow dof is for modern ones shouldn't distract from the fact that both approaches are fundamentally aesthetic, though mediated by equipment and technique.

All the above being said, I suspect the ultra-shallow dof trend in portraiture is a fad, and fading quickly, along with the soft focus look. And this is coming from one who regularly uses selective focus with SF lenses, though in a more moderated way than many others. The bottom line is that equipment and technique can be tools, or crutches, and it's not always easy to know which.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I think collectively we should be wary of any technique that can effectively be bought rather than learned. Such is the spread of information now you likely to inspire a million copyists in short order, and your technique becomes a cliche in record time.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'm afraid I didn't think much of the article. Kennerdell only thinks of shallow depth as a fad, crutch, or gimmick, never as an aesthetic way of seeing and flavoring the world, never as a close companion to atmospheric perspective, never as a study of the beauty of optics and how we might see the world if our own eyes weren't constantly auto-focusing on whatever we point them at.

I have no problem with deep or shallow depth of field, but I think if one decides ahead of time, "all my photographs will look like this", it's a limit. That in itself isn't a problem; we put so many other limits on ourselves, working in lf, a particular process or genre... Indeed, another limit may help tie one's work together.

But it should be a limit that's thought out by the photographer, and fits his or her vision and goals. Kennerdell's is a shallow and one-sided arguement, one to be considered, but balanced by another side...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

It's a tool, like any tool it can be misused. The dilettante digitographers just have a shiny new toy to play with, they'll get tired and move on soon enough.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

As some others have stated, I find shallow DOF to be a tool, not a crutch. It works well in some images, not in others. It is just one more option to make the photographer's vision and creativity come across in an image. Use it when it furthers your goal.

Shalloe DOF is limiting to anyone trying to actually see and develop because it limits you to making pictures of some simple thing, you are essentially a product photographer, like Mr Sawyer. However if you are interetsed in the relationship between things and light and other things, like Strand, specially Sudek, Shore at his best, Friedlander etc, then DOF is something you use very subtly as a tool to focus the viewers attention where you want it and move their eyes around space.