Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations sought for a lightweight 8x10 camera

Question Recommendations sought for a lightweight 8x10 camera

Hi:

Appreciate is if someone could recommend (based on their experience) the lightweight 8x10 camera and minimal landscape accessories which has to be taken to high mountains upto 5000 meters at chilly weather that is below -10C all the time.

However cost is also a limiting factor to consider, meaning cannot bear astronomical cost for the gadgets.

Please suggest 8x10 camera body, lens and the films that is appropriate for such environments.

Else, share the existing measurements to create one from scratch (but have no degree in design and architecture). I read that a lot of forum members are very skilled to create one from scratch, but I just lack the measurements to begin with.

Thanking you in anticipation.

//zenny

----

Support http://thehumanape.com

Re: Recommendations sought for a lightweight 8x10 camera

Do you have any experience with 8x10?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

You can pretty much take any camera into those conditions, you just have to use logical precautions in terms of static from the dry air, brittleness of the bellows, film when loading the holders. Also, lubricants tend to stiffen up so you have to be patient and proactive about movents, set up. Many images by Ansel Adams were in temps as low as what you describe, but not on top of the Matterhorn.

I know I will be using my 4x5 a lot at up to 4,400 meters here in the U.S. it weighs about 4 pounds with an average sized lens and film holder, one of the many reasons I opted for that format over 8x10...

Nagaoka for a folder, Gowland for a monorail. If you don't need movements, Gowland Aerial (designed for the 300mmf/9 Nikon "M" lens)
    These are very lightwieght cameras and can be used with lighter than usual 8x10 tripods however there is still the issue of "tripod wobble."The heaviest component of an 8x10 kit, aside from the tripod, will be the film holders.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Octogenarian

It's not only the weight of the camera.

8x10 film holders and lenses are large and bulky.

A lot of stuff to haul up a mountain.

Check out the all metal Canham JMC810. A light weight and compact 8x10 camera.

If you want meaningful responses I think you need to be more specific. What do you consider "light" for an 8x10 camera? What's your price range for the camera? And for the other things you'll need if you don't already have them (lens, tripod, holders, light meter, dark cloth, etc.)? When you ask about appropriate films, are you thinking of color, black and white, or both?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

One option (not from experience) would be a point-and-shoot 8x10 camera. One lens (relatively short -- perhaps a Fuji 250/6.7 as a max focal length, but something along the lines of a Wollie 159mm for the shorter side), fixed focus, no bellows, with or without a GG. Handheld, no tripod. Such as the HoboCamera. Seems to be the lightest, most rugged option.

Depends a lot on the type of images you want to make.

I agree with Vaughn that the Hobo or one of its clones would be best because of lack of bellows and low weight.
    Next on my list would be the lightweight Wehman, or a Phillips. Both will meet the weight requirement, but will be more costly.
    At that altitude you will be encountering wind which further recommends the non-bellows Hobo. A clone is easy to make since they are all wood, but you will need a focusing mount for the lens unless you compute the hyperfocal distance for the lens and build the camera to match.

I have a pretty light 8x10" kit--Gowland monorail, Mido filmholders, BlackJacket darkcloth, ordinary knapsack of the sort used for laptop computers. If I stick to wide/normal lenses, I can bring one rail and an ultralight tripod. 3x3" gel filters and a clip-on holder are very light. If you wanted a light modern lens, something like a 300mm Fujinon-C or Nikkor-M or G-Claron is in the ballpark. If you like more focal lengths you might consider a convertible lens. I have various lenses, mostly older.

A camera with a good price/weight ratio that you may want to consider is the Centruy Universal 8x10. It weighs about 9 lbs. I have not used it in the cold weather you describe. Newer designs will weigh less, and probably be more sturdy, at a higher price.

I'd recommend that you consider the system weight of an 8x10, not just the camera. For me, it was too heavy for extensive hiking/backpacking, yet others here seem to handle the weight just fine.
    Peter Y.