Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo 1000 Problems - Stops on Color, Works on B&W.

Portraitsit, Pictorialist gavinseim's Avatar

Question Jobo 1000 Problems - Stops on Color, Works on B&W.

I have an ATL 1000 that for developing my 4x5. It worked great when I got it and it still works great with B&W. But with the C41 process (E6 also I believe) it stops in the middle. The process starts running and about halfway through it's like it loses power. Not a sudden stop, but like an RC car running our of batteries the lights start to fade and the drum eventually stops all together. The water does heat up.

Not sure what could be happening. Is the water bath for color shorting something out? I took off the bottom and lee no leaks inside or circuits that are visibly fried. I've pulled pout tanks and cleaned thing up and checked for bare wires somewhere. But no matter what I do it will no longer get through a complete color process. I still use it for B&W with no problems at all.

Any insights would be appreciated. I don't really know where to go from here or what part I might need to replace. With no Jobo service centers I feel pretty stuck. I want to get this thing working again.

Gav
    Gavin Seim - Pictorialist, Portraitist, Writer, Podcaster

Re: Jobo 1000 Problems - Stops on Color, Works on B&W.

First thing to check is the thermal overload reset switch, located inside the control housing (just under the selector dials. It may be tripping in color runs as the temp is higher.
    Remove the front inside panel to reach it.

There is no visible indication when that switch is in or out, just press it in with your finger, close up and try again.
    If this does not solve the issue -
    does it always stock at the same point?
    If so when?
    If not, when?
    Does it start right back up when you cycle the on off button?

Thanks for the tips. I'll try.

It does seem to happen roughly at the same point but I've not times it yet. If I cycle button it seems to start up sometimes, or weakly start spinning like it's lacking power. But in a short time it stops again.

I'll check those things and report back.

I had this problem with mine but I never solved it (no longer have the unit). Mine would start working again as soon as the temperature dropped (refilling the water jacket with cold water did the trick) which suggests the thermal cut-out although pressing that switch didn't work for me. Good luck with yours.

OK so I did some testing.

1. The machine stops in mid process but has no exact stopping point that I can tell. You start the process, it fills with water, heats up and starts turning the drum. It may even start putting chemicals and or pre-wash in.

2. At some point during the process it starts making a constant beeping sound. This along with the turning of the drum fades very gradually (almost like a capacitor or battery running out on a toy). Eventually the machine stops, lights off as if it has no power.

3. If you cycle the power button at this stage nothing happens. But the longer you leave it off that changes. If you leave it off for say a minute and power back on, it will start for a few seconds with the beep and perhaps a turning drum but the power fades once again. If you do it soon after it stops it may not even have the power to turn the drum. It will just try to love it and then fade away.

4. The longer you leave it off the longer it goes when you turn it back on. But it always stops again. That said if you leave it off for say 10-15 minutes it starts up again without the continues beep. Then after a few minutes the beep will start and the machine will gradually fade out once again.

Again this only seems to be on processes where the base fills with water. A B&W or cleaning process will run just fine. Also the machine worked fine on these processes when i first got it last year. This started a month or two after I bought it.

I did take the control panel off and found the thermal reset. It did not change anything or get the machine going again once it was fading. I notes however that everything inside looks clean and proper. No broken wires, water damage or circuits that appear burned.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. I have a $1000+ machine ion good condition that no longer does color. It's very frustrating.

Correction: The beep is only continuous if the lid is up (a normal sound). With the lid closed there's is a cycled beep that starts as the machine begins to lose power. It fades away just as described above, only it's not continuous unless the lid is open.

I will look in to this and get back to you.

One other thing to check is the water level float senser, which might be gunked up with debris or calcification, which may be causing this issue.

The float is inside the housing and you will need to remove the entire top housing.

Email me at krifartida@gmail.com and i can send you the service manual for how to remove the housing.

Thank you. I have removed the top housing so I'm familiar with that. Though the water is about at the line and I assumed that was correct. Is it the water level that could cause the issue or something else.

What's off is how the power fades. Like something electrical is failing.

In any case I"ll check it out... G

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    One other thing to check is the water level float senses, which might be gunked up with debris or calcification, which may be causing this issue.

The float is inside the housing and you will need to remove the entire top housing.

Email me at krifartida@gmail.com and i can send you the service manual for how to remove the housing.

OK here is what i got:
    The water jacket pump is bad, and draws too much power form the PTC switch on the board causing the ultimate power failure.
    Once it cools down enough it will run again.

Check the status of the water jacket pump and if it needs replacing let me know and i will get one for you.

Feel free to contact me directly at krifartida@gmail.com