Thread: Carrying/travel solution for Cambo 8x10 or B&J grover 8x10?

Carrying/travel solution for Cambo 8x10 or B&J grover 8x10?

I am looking for carry case for either Cambo 8x10 or B&J Grover 8x10. I don't want to dissasemble cameras when get to location, just take out of a case and attach to a tripod. Does anyone have a solution they are using with ease? Would appreciate tips and recommendations. Special thanks for pictures posted.

Re: Carrying/travel solution for Cambo 8x10 or B&J grover 8x10?

I just throw my 8x10 Grover in the trunk with the rest of the gear. When I get to where I'm going I screw it to the tripod, throw it over my shoulder with the focusing cloth as padding, and off I go. It isn't the most convenient and I wouldn't care to hump it more than a mile or two, but it works. I've had a number of 50's and 60's cheap camera cases and none of them have been large enough for the 8x10. Other bits and pieces go in a 18-can soft sided cooler bag: two lenses, loupe, meter, four film holders, filters, etc.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Mike, thanks for your reply. And you never had a problem with the broken ground glass transporting your Grover like that? I would just hate to get to location and find GG shattered in pieces..

Quote Originally Posted by Ilford4ever View Post
    Mike, thanks for your reply. And you never had a problem with the broken ground glass transporting your Grover like that? I would just hate to get to location and find GG shattered in pieces..
    Nope, I've never broken a ground glass. Not to say that it can't happen, it certainly could, but it hasn't. I don't actually "throw" the camera into the trunk, but it isn't protected other than I try to keep the ground glass away from things that might slide into it. A prudent person would have a spare ground glass, in case of the worst, I suppose.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

You can make a simple ground glass protector from a board or buy one from one of the view camera dealers, Canham makes them from Plexiglass and they slip in like a film holder. If you compress the bellows fully and find a soft place to "nestle" the camera it makes it very easy for driving-around kinds of shots. I used to use a cheap plastic milk crate with some foam or even a pillow to put the 8x10 so that if you do stop fast, it has some protection. I've even used a child seat and a seat belt!

Lately I have been using a large Tenba monorail case that holds the 4x5 upside down and ready to go, but that case probably cost more than your camera and wouldn't fit an 8x10 as readily (it might, not sure). But with some building skills you could cobble together a wood box that would be just as effective and less costly. You might also consider building something semi-permanant into the vehicle.

Hank you guys for your replys. Great ideas here. Will try milk crate/pillow combo until will get a case made. Thanks again!