Thread: Graphic View II repair questions (velvet/knobs)

Graphic View II repair questions (velvet/knobs)

Howdy all, long time reader first time poster.

I recently bought a Graflex Graphic View II in great shape aside from a few minor details:

-The back (non-Graflok) has some white powdery corrosion that seems to scrape off fairly easy. Any tips on cleaning that off without doing any damage? Also seems that the velvet lining on is worn away, the problem is it's completely gone so I have no idea where/what I'm replacing exactly and the service manual doesn't make this terribly clear either. Anyone have a picture of theirs I can go off of?

-The bushings that fit between the front and rear tilt knobs and control arms are all placed in different orders, on one side of the camera they are between the knobs and the control arms, on the other they're between the control arm and the front/rear standards. In what order should these actually be assembled? Once again, the repair manual is very vague about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm very eager to get it all fixed up and ready to shoot.

Re: Graphic View II repair questions (velvet/knobs)

There are thin washers between the tilt lock knobs and the control arms on the two GVII and an original GV that I examined.

Thanks! I thought perhaps they belonged between the arms and the front/rear standards to relieve pressure but I suppose 2 for 2 does it. Can you tell me anything about the velvet light trap lining on the back of your cameras?

The two GV IIs with Graflok backs have velvet in the narrow depressions along the long side of the film gate. The early GV with a spring back has a smooth flat surface instead of velvet. This is similar to most other spring backs. I suspect a Graflok back will be light tight enough without the velvet, expecially of the surrounding surfaces are blackened. Thin velvet could be cut to size to replace any missing light trap. Black felt of the right thickness might also work. I usually attach a focusing cloth to the front standard of a view camera and drape it over the back as extra insurance against sunlight leaking into the back.

Hello fellow Graphic View camera lovers, I was just wondering about places in Texas (or anywhere for that matter) to get knobs (especially for the front rise and bellows lens shade) currently. I see some great posts but this is almost 2014 so was looking for really current advice if anyone can enlighten me.

I have a Graphic View II (my first student camera!) that is missing a knob. I would love another lens board too and though I can make one in my woodshop I'd rather have an original as the camera is just a cool vintage work of art by itself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!