Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

I just bought the brand new Fuji PA-45 for $195. then right away, they stop making the color film for it . Any reason to keep this or should I just sell it right away? Lost cause? They still do make 3200 BW, but one would have to stop down 5 stops too see how an exposure might turn out.

Re: Keep the Fuji 4x5 back?

Either stockpile what's left or unload the holder asap.

They have a 3200 still BW, prices color on ebay are bit overpriced and then those will run out. Do you own one?

I'd sell it for whatever, the film was expensive, use the digital for proofing and maybe the smaller ISO100 for camera testing and goofing around. It's a real shame to loose these materials.

thanks Frank, what is this referring to:
    "the smaller ISO100 for camera testing a"

Typo opps, I just mean use a DSLR for testing instead of Polaroid, at least for composition and lighting. It doesn't hurt to do a Polaroid with the 405 back of your set-up to make sure the camera is set up properly as it will show whether you have any light leaks, malfunctioning shutter, plus the depth of field, etc. but it's a lot less hassle, time, and expense to do 20 digitals than 20 Polaroids for the roughing in.

Since the good Polaroid (sorry Fuji Instant) is ISO 100, do the math if you are using ISO 400 film.

A good loupe with a clear lower portion (to let light in, not your camera loupe) is useful for checking details. The negative side will have more detail but it is gunky.

You'll likely see them discontinue the 3200 as well. Mines a doorstop too. Color films are getting scarce, C-41 is all but gone, E-6 not looking much better. I tried selling all of my LF gear a while ago and the highest offer was $50 for camera, 3 lenses, holders, film, instant films and holders. I'm about to just donate it to a school or something, maybe they can put it in a museum setting for their "digital media" class.

/discouraged/

Did not understand this Frank,
    "A good loupe with a clear lower portion (to let light in, not your camera loupe) is useful for checking details. The negative side will have more detail but it is gunky. "

I already check with Canon 5D2. I want to know get the other back for smaller type instant film. Wish I had chosen that at the time! But those are not scarce and overpriced.

Cab, well, no problem right now with 4x5 chrome or neg color.

You want a loupe like this to look at reflective prints, like Polaroid prints: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_Loupe.html it has a clear base to let light in from the outside.

You want a loupe like this to look at your ground glass: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Loupe.html because the black base will not let outside light in.

If you look at film on a light table, be consistent with the loupe since the black based loupes will make them appear to have more contrast than a clear base. In the day when chromes mattered to anyone, it was usually recommended to use a clear base to get the most accurate information, but let the clients use the black base so the chromes looked better, haha.

On the throw-away part of the Fuji Instant, you can loupe the negative if you want to see if some particular area is in focus. It will be sharper than the positive print. But you'll get gunk on your loupe.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Right, Frank means a loupe for looking at the "print" side of the instant print. The base of the loupe needs to be clear to let the light in. Yes, there's more detail on the "negative" side, and on Fuji the black backside of that can be removed using household bleach and then you'll have a scannable negative. The gunk can be washed of in a sink, but it takes a while for that.

When I can't get the 4x5 material, then I'll get the smaller Fuji back and use that until there's no more instant material. There's no sense in dropping money on an adapter for, at best, a 36mm sensor back for proofing a 4x5 image. It would be better to rig something up for holding a P&S at the back of the camera, and photographing the GG.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans