Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 photographers

8x10 photographers

Hi every body!

I kind like the work of artests Stephen shore and Richard Misrach photos (when it shot with 8x10 camera), which what those cameras have... magic in details and great tonality! Books "uncommon places" and "desert cantos"

I recently bought Stephen Shores book "Mose", but did not like the photos at all.. they are not like his old photos, no dynamic range nor details like what I use to enjoy with his book "uncommon places". What happen to his photos?! did he change his camera?

Second: would you please advice me with books of artestes that shot with 8x10 color, anything other than portraits?

Any comment is helpful

Nasser

Re: 8x10 photographers

I like Uncommon Places too. Maybe Guido Guidi's 'A New Map of Italy'. Books done on 8x10 seem much less common than MF and digital books.

Although it is an old book (ca. 1970's) "Cape Light" by Joel Meyerowitz is one of my favorite photography books produced from 8x10 color film.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I like Uncommon Places too. Maybe Guido Guidi's 'A New Map of Italy'. Books done on 8x10 seem much less common than MF and digital books.
    Thank you very much! I will order that... I just googled and found a preview on Vimeo.com about it

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Polcou View Post
    Although it is an old book (ca. 1970's) "Cape Light" by Joel Meyerowitz is one of my favorite photography books produced from 8x10 color film.
    This one is great also... Thanks!

Wynn Bullock did some amazing stuff with an 8x10, as did Minor White. I too, like the Cape Light series by Meyerowitz. Oddly, it's about the only thing he did I ever liked. I was fortunate enough to see an exhibition of his dye transfers of that series "back in the day". They were amazing.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I'm not aware that Shore has changed cameras. But if you read much about him you'll see that he often talks about giving himself new projects when he thinks he's getting stale and doing the same thing over and over. So it's not surprising that you'd like some of the things he's done and not others.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Shinzo Maeda shot almost all of his work ( in Japan ) on 5 x 4 " and 8 x 10 " reversal . Highly recommended , beautiful, subtle shots of the mountains and woods . Look him up on Amazon, several of his books are available.

I have seen a talk by Stephen Shore recently (SFMOMA, I think it was) where he said -if I remember rightly- he had been using a Nikon D3X as well as a digital point and shoot for his latest work.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Shinzo Maeda shot almost all of his work ( in Japan ) on 5 x 4 " and 8 x 10 " reversal . Highly recommended , beautiful, subtle shots of the mountains and woods . Look him up on Amazon, several of his books are available.
    Don't forget he shot a lot of his pictures on medium format (Hassleblad) too.. Most of his books have a 'taken with which lens, camera, film' section at the back.

http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/03...-shinzo-maeda/
    http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/03...o-maeda-books/
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com