Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to LF, seeking advice on antique 8x10

New to LF, seeking advice on antique 8x10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7321379744_ca676b7eb6_z.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	74628

Hello, crossposting here as recommended by members of another /p/hotography board. I am an absolute beginner (digital kid) but would thoroughly appreciate any advice and resources y'all could throw my way, and am dedicated to learning how to operate this now that it is within my grasp!

I work at this high-end antique/vintage store, and we recently got this 30s/40s 8x10 LF camera in. The guy we got it from (reputable dealer who we buy from frequently) said it was working as recently as last year with minimal light leaks. The owners of the store said I could have the camera free of charge provided I use it to shoot some ads for them first. whoopee.

I've googled around extensively, but there's so much historical stuff rather than any operational information. I'm not very experienced with film, but I figure this would be a great a time as any to learn.

Does anyone have advice on operating and maintaining a camera like this? Any advice on where to get film, and what kind would be best? Resources on how to shoot with antique large format cameras? Anything is appreciated.

The front element. Ilex Paragon Anastigmat, F4.5, Series S, made in Rochester

Name:	7321379856_4b201deaca_z.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	74629

Light meter. Others have advised I should get a new one because the selenium may have degraded.

Name:	7321779424_562c54c801_z.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	74630

Re: New to LF, seeking advice on antique 8x10

Score! Others will chime in with accurate info, but it looks to me like a Burke and James monorail view camera, and that's a very nice lens, too! You need a film holder (or several), and you're in business! There are lots of detailed guides for operating a camera like this, but the broad strokes are:

load film into holder in complete darkness
    open lens shutter
    focus by racking the front or back forward or backwards, as necessary
    close lens shutter
    set aperture and shutter speed and cock shutter
    insert film holder
    remove film holder dark slide
    release shutter
    replace film holder dark slide

repeat 1,000 times

Yay! Welcome!

Thanks much for the tips Jay! Looking forward to getting to know my 8x10/this place. Thanks for putting a name to the camera as well, it's obviously very useful in the course of googleing the basic how-tos that I now know what I'm shooting with.

Forgot to mention, I am also wondering about developing. I'm not really at a place (financially... spatially) that I can set up a darkroom right now. Are there any good developing companies that I could outsource to for the time being?

If you outsource 8x10 you'll be paying a ton...I wouldn't go down that route just yet. I would highly recommend first buying a BTZS 8x10-sized tube. With this you'll be able to develop your own film mostly in daylight. You could also make your own out of PVC. Anyway, it's really easy to dev 8x10 with one of these, even in a small half-bath or whatever.

If you're up for the challenge (having not developed other films) you can get a load of 8x10 x-ray film for really cheap, and experiment for months without spending boatloads of money on film. I get mine from cxsonline. $27 gets you 100 sheets of Fuji Green X-ray film. If you check out my blog in my signature you'll find lots of examples of images I've taken on this film. It scratches really easy though. But for learning it's great.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Angelina,

You could be up and running for under $100, including film, if you go the X-ray route. I would recommend the slightly more expensive single sided stuff, as the two-sided stuff is too delicate for a newcomer to work with. Get yourself a film holder, film, tray, a red light, some chemicals, and go for it! We'll walk you through it when the time comes. Look in the X-ray threads for links to the single sided film.

There's a lot to learn, but you can do it as you go! Have fun!

Un huh don't let it get too complicated too fast... http://www.4photolab.com Edgar Praus will process your film properly and you get what you pay for.

I'd read as much of the front end of this website (not this forum but the articles - http://www.largeformatphotography.info) as possible, then maybe find a local geeky large format photographer to assist you. 8x10 is expensive, perhaps a smaller 35mm film camera would work to get you started with using film, then you could move up to the XXXL size after you get the hang of it.

What you have to appreciate here is that the geeks will have you setting up a darkroom and buying all sorts of crap before you even know what you're doing. Finding a peer will really shorten the learning curve and failure rate!

Minimal light leaks? That means the bellows have pinholes and the seller knew it, I'd say. Take the back off, put it in a dark room, put a flashlight inside of it and turn it on. You should see no light at all from the corners of the extended bellows.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Un huh don't let it get too complicated too fast... What you have to appreciate here is that the geeks will have you setting up a darkroom and buying all sorts of crap before you even know what you're doing.
    Like a 35mm camera, for instance.

Light leaks will be a problem. Do an inspecin in "a" dark room with a flashlight as others recommend. Leaks is trouble. If they are pinholes on the corners you can patch them with various inexpensive compounds or even gaffer's tape and be good to go.

Check the shutter at different speeds to see...uhhh....listen whats going on. if it sounds like it's firing at the same speed on widely different settings you'll likely need to ship the lens off for a "cla."

You'll need film holders---I'd recommend at least three to start with. Used wooden Kodaks and plastic Liscos are what I use. Agfas are good too. A top notch dealer like Midwest will stand behind what they sell---of course you can find bargains on eBay but its also a safe bet that you'll waste money on a lot of dogs in the process(and the frustration that goes with it!) Another option is checking the for sale forum here for some usable film holders, if you're patient.

Freestyle Arista.edu Ultra (Fomapan) is a good quality, inexpensive film to learn on.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Un huh don't let it get too complicated too fast... http://www.4photolab.com Edgar Praus will process your film properly and you get what you pay for.

8x10 is expensive, perhaps a smaller 35mm film camera would work to get you started with using film, then you could move up to the XXXL size after you get the hang of it.
    I actually do have experience and know the basics of using a film SLR. I've got this old Nikkormat that used to be my dad's and used it pretty frequently until I got way digital for work.

One of my ex-professors actually reccommended Edgar Praus in an email last night. In the interest of simplicity and tackling only one new thing at a time, I'm probably going to start by sending things off to him. When I get the hang of using the camera properly, I'll begin exploring options for a rudimentary darkroom setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post
    Minimal light leaks? That means the bellows have pinholes and the seller knew it, I'd say. Take the back off, put it in a dark room, put a flashlight inside of it and turn it on. You should see no light at all from the corners of the extended bellows.
    Richard
    He actually demonstrated this for us when we bought it (like I said, good dealer.) It was 2 miniscule pinholes on the corners in the middle of the bellows. Gaffers tape for now, I think? My employers said they also would not mind a small amount of leakage for the ads, because they're an antique store and that would make the photo all the more antique-y.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You'll need film holders---I'd recommend at least three to start with. Used wooden Kodaks and plastic Liscos are what I use. Agfas are good too.

(Fomapan) is a good quality, inexpensive film to learn on.
    Have fun!
    Would there be any reason not to go with the BnW Ilford stuff on B&H? Looks cheap and has good reviews. Thanks much for the advice on film holders, I've begin shopping around and those look like good bets.