Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you remove your cable release?

Do you remove your cable release?

I only have one lens for my 8x10 and I usually just leave the cable release screwed into the shutter when putting away the camera. Is this running a risk of damage to the threads or the shutter itself? I was wondering what is customarily done by other shooters. Thanks!

Ed,

I usually leave the cable release attached... one for each lens I own.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A lot of photographers leave a cable release on each shutter. I don't, partly because I worry about damage to the release (or, worse, the shutter) but mainly because I'm too tight to shell out $40 for a release for every shutter...

Do I remove the cable release? No, it seems to remove itself when I am carrying the camera between shots.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

25-years ago, I went to an auto parts store and bought a little bottle of Loctite, a glue specially made to secure screw threads. I used it to attach my cable release to my Copal 1 shutter. It's still there, working fine, no problems.

There are two kinds of Loctite - one for a permanent attachment, and another that allows the parts to be removed. I used the removable, so that if I ever need to remove the cable release, I can do so.

I carry one spare release rather than four attached to lenses. An attached release doesn't lie well in a tightly wrapped lens.

Good light --

Well, I guess I must be a weirdo. I screw in my cable for about one minute, to use it, then remove it. Between shots I tie it around my neck, where it interferes with my loupe, also hanging there. The cable-shutter link seems really weak to me, so I don't like handling or storing lenses with the cable attached.

I just attach the release to the shutter for the shot and then take it off when I'm putting everything back in the bag again. I've never felt comfortable leaving it on the lens. I only shoot with one lens on either 4x5 or 8x10, though, so it's not like I have to switch it around between lenses. I guess I'm just paranoid about killing either the cable release or the threads on the shutter.

I leave inexpensive, short Gepe cloth releases permanently attached, as I think the on-off cycle exposes them to potential cross threading and loss. This way I always have a spare and it is faster to set up. I wrap the cable around the lens, always using a lens cap, and wrap in a padded lens warp or close up inside my folding camera. Never have had any damage from the release itself. I also like light, short releases so that they don't transmit too much force to the front of the camera.

Ed, What a coincidence! I was just told last night in my large format photography course that it is always best to remove the cable release. The reason is the end of the cable release, where it is screwed into the camera, is very vulnerable to inadvertant pressure which will tend to strip the threads. It is costly to replace the lens' cable release socket, as well as ruining your day. Walt