Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael SMith and Paula in B&W Magazine

Michael SMith and Paula in B&W Magazine

Maybe I missed this on here?

I rarely buy B&W magazine these days - it just doesn't seem to do it for me (I think the ads are the most interesting things in it generally).

But the latest one caught my eye with an article about Michael Smith listed on the cover, so I plonked down my six or seven bucks for it. What a great piece (decent lenthg for an article for once) - lots of Michael and Paula's work in there, + lots of information and interestign quites and an impression of the two o them at work. Well worth it for once!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I enjoyed the article and the photos, but the interview and quotes didn't add much to what I already know about Michael an Paula, which isn't much. It seems to me that Michael has a well established routine that he sticks very close to, much like a politician, and never reveals anything very meaningful about himself or his work. He seems to be a consumate salesman, and every quote or response is crafted to that end. I understand that that is the purpose and intent of the magazine and the piece, but I hoped for a revelation on Michael's part. The most insightful part of the article was the historical details of Michael and Paula's backgrounds, and especially Michael's relentless ambition to earn a living from print sales. I admire their sense of adventure, willingness to take risks and make the sacrifices necessary to fulfill that ambition.

What issue? I usually buy B&W at B&N, but haven't seen this one.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

current issue - Feb 2004

http://www.bandwmag.com/current/index.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Actually what impressed me most was Paula's pictures. I have never enjoyed MAS's photos much. They always seemed to be devoid of a real subject beyond showcasing how much of a tonal range his techniques render. I did however get into his Oregan coastal stuff. I will be out there myself taking a workshop with Don Kirby this Sept.

MAS is a regular on APUG.ORG so if you want to get a better idea of what makes him tick check it out. He likes to get into some pretty indepth discussions on photographic philosophy.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I enjoyed the article immensely. Not only is Michael one of the most creative photographers currently active, but he has been consistently very generous in sharing his knowledge. To my knowledge, he is one of the few famous photographers helping us duffers and dabblers (Bruce Barnbaum is another generous teacher who comes to mind). I want to thank him for his contributions to landscape photography and his generosity in sharing what he has learned.

I only read it (B&W) for the pictures.

tim in san jose

maybe this quote from Michael Smith will give you some idea as to why some dislike him.....

"I am, by far, the most accomplished fine-art photographer who contributes to the LF forum. (My photographs are collected in over 100 museums, 25-year retrospective at the Eastman House in 1992, etc, etc.) In my areas of expertise, I happen to know more than anyone else who posts to this forum, and I am happy to share my knowledge. Part of that is letting people know what is available from me. Think of me as a resource. To many people, my presence on the forum lends credibility to the forum. I cannot, however, give of my time, which is VERY limited--I work over 18 hours a day and still run short of time--if I cannot occasionally make the sorts of postings I am referring to. As stated in my posting on the lf forum--I do not make these postings often. Please reaad my posting on the lf forum referred to above--and answer briefly. Thsnk you."

"I am, by far, the most accomplished fine-art photographer who contributes to the LF forum. (My photographs are collected in over 100 museums, 25-year retrospective at the Eastman House in 1992, etc, etc.)"

Humm - If the above statement is an accurate one, I know of at least one other contributor here who has something like 7 monographs of their worked published, contributor to numerous other books, a Guggenheim Fellowship, work in the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Fonds National d'Art Contemporain, Paris - and numerous other public and private collections, Shows at the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art, Documenta IX, Kassel, Musee de L'Elysee, Lausanne, The Field Museum, Chicago, Group shows at MoMA, National Gallery of Canada, etc etc.

As well as another occasional contributor with shows at the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Tate Modern and MoMA's PS1 etc etc, along with several monographs and work in collections too umerous to list.

Those are just two, perhaps who chose not to toot their own horn, but who have still shared their expertise freely.

to say "I am, by far, the most accomplished fine-art photographer who contributes to the LF forum" is perhaps rather overstating it - there are both more accomplished and more successful fine-art photographers on the list.

Donald, you gotta name names...:-). I woud certainly love to see the work from the first guy! with those credentials he must be phenomenal....and for that matter the second guy too...:-)