Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workshops

Workshops

Paula Chamlee and myself announce several workshop this year: Monterey, California (right after the Large Format Conference, Bucks County Pennsylvania, and Iceland. Go to http://www.michaelandpaula.com under "Workshops" for full information.

I hope this very short informational posting does not offend anyone.

Michael A. Smith

Workshops

"Classifieds (for sale or wanted adds) and commercial postings are not allowed in this forum and will be deleted. Refer to the LF page for links to places dedicated to them."

Seems to me that if you charge money for your workshops, you are using the forum to advertize your commercial business. I'm not personally offended per se, but if I wouldn't be permitted to promote workshops for which I charge or gallery exhibits and such on this forum, why should exceptions be made for you? If your workshops are free, my apologies.

Workshops

Robert,

You are not very kind to Michael. Workshops are OK for here.

Workshops

Our workshops are not free.

This posting is not a classified ad, nor is it a "for sale" ad. At one time Tuan specifically stated that this kind of announcement was acceptable on the large format forum. In fact, there is a topic category for "Workshops."

Would it have been more acceptable to you if someone inquired if anyone knew of any good workshops this year and I replied? That kind of thing happens all the time. It is possible that, for certain types of questions, much of the time it is a "set up" for a predetermined answer. Those who have read my postings over the years know that I am direct and up front and do not resort to such subterfuge.

Yes, we make money from our workshops, but workshops are not our business. They usually overfill and the main reason we hold them at all is because of the demand. We make more money spending the comparable time making and selling our photographs than we ever could from workshops. The workshop we are holding in Monterey, after the LF Conference came about only because we received requests to hold it. We do not advertise our workshops--we only list them on our web site and make very few announcements. It seems appropriate to announce them here, since this is the large format discussion site that many of those who will have an interest in them look at (whether they can attend or not).

As a member of the LF community, I know that I am definitely interested in "who is doing what"--who is conducting workshops, who is having exhibitions, who is giving lectures (even if admission is charged), etc. I can't imagine that any serious photographer would not be interested in those things and would not appreciate such announcements.

Workshops

yeah Robert, you should quit being such a boob

Workshops

It was not my intention to be unkind to anyone. What I was trying to point out is that the forum has guidelines for its use and that among those is the quoted statement in my first posting. An announcement of a series of workshops for which money is charged sure sounds like a commercial posting to me. What's to stop every single fine art photographer who offers workshops for a fee to clutter the forum with announcements like this? Now, if a workshop is being offered for no cost, such as the ones Per Volquartz posts from time to time, that's fine as it is not a commercial (for profit) posting, but rather, an attempt to share with others just for the sake of sharing and helping. If someone wishes to review a workshop or inquires about same, that's fine too, as it's sharing of experiences and viewpoints. Same would go for books, gallery showings, etc. Pointing all of this out is not intended to be unkind, but rather, to draw attention to the potential problem of using a forum such as this for promoting a commercial business.

Workshops

I'm not offended by announcements of workshops free or paid. Often I only hear of large format workshops on this web site.

Ron Mc

Workshops

OK, and exactly HOW many people on this forum are promoting books, workshops, or gallery showings?? I haven't seen that many. I for one would love to here from those that ARE even if they aren't free. Don't you have better things to worry about??

Workshops

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/workshops.html is the page where workshop announcements can be posted. Those interested in finding out about workshops or reading reviews of them can find that information on this page. If anything goes, why have guidelines?

Workshops

I think that a thread about a workshop is for the common good of the LF community. There are already enough places to advertise equipment, we don't need it here. However, there aren't a lot of places to find out about current workshops. It's not just something to help Michael out financially - it's something that could help many of us out.