Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Platinum Printing?

Re: Platinum Printing?

Come on guys let's give Zenny a break. Many of us never took a workshop and taught ourselves the process. Zenny is also not located in the US so his access to American workshops is probably quite limited.

And though I'm not sure, I don't think English is his native language so we maybe interpreting his comments too literally.

Personally I think people will benefit more from workshops if they have at least dabbled with the process or technique they are curious about. What's the old Dylan line? 'There's no success like failure ...'

Quote Originally Posted by zenny View Post
    It is not arrogance, but a humble statement of the fact that I cannot learn in an archetype, systematic, formal, training environments.
    It did not think of it as an arrogant statement either but I can see why some people might think of it that way.

I don't respond well to formal instruction on how to do things either. I much prefer to work it out for myself. However, everyone is different in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    What's the old Dylan line? 'There's no success like failure ...'
    Failure is good as it shows you what doesn't work. If you encounter success on your first try, you will never know the limits of the process.

Steve.

Sorry, but I didn't get the impression that English was not his first language or that he is not in the US. If so, that might explain his use of the term "preach." I've just never considered informative lecturing and discussion as "preaching."

Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

This thread seems to be assuming that one has a wunderful neg for Pt/Pl printing -- for someone who's interested in being "self-taught" -- do you just buy the negative because, if not, you might want to self-teach how to develop a negative which will work in your newly self-tsight genre.

Quote Originally Posted by sepstein17 View Post
    This thread seems to be assuming that one has a wunderful neg for Pt/Pl printing -- for someone who's interested in being "self-taught" -- do you just buy the negative because, if not, you might want to self-teach how to develop a negative which will work in your newly self-tsight genre.
    Learning how to make proper negatives is part of the process, so no you don't buy the negative. If you want to be self taught do your research first.

Take a look a Wayne's website for examples of very good palladium work.

Thanks to everyone above for spending precious time to post useful suggestions. I am still open for receiving more info/resources on the topic (except workshop recommendations).

Thumbs up Re: Platinum Printing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    I thought Sandy King had written an article on it but I guess not. His article on Kallitypes was a big help for me. I used these to get me going and they were of great help:

http://www.alternativephotography.co...nual-palladium

http://www.alternativephotography.co...pe-printmaking
    @Zaitz: Thanks a lot, they are very relevant to my query with explanation about the quantitative part of the chemicals!

Zenny,

Did you ever had a a platinum/palladium print in your hands? I'm asking because the aesthetics of a Pt/Pd print is quite different form a glossy FB print (obviously), it's much more silent/subdued, and the texture of the paper is a very prominent factor..I have been printing platinum on and off for years now (and I am NOT a master at all) and still I am not convinced of the mythical qualities sometimes attributed to platinum prints..heresy perhaps but I am strictly speaking for myself.

For some images it sings, for others its well bland..I taught myself Pt printing so that perhaps explains..;-)..but I did had print made by a master printer in my hands (Carl Weese)

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Zenny,

Did you ever had a a platinum/palladium print in your hands? I'm asking because the aesthetics of a Pt/Pd print is quite different form a glossy FB print (obviously), it's much more silent/subdued, and the texture of the paper is a very prominent factor..I have been printing platinum on and off for years now (and I am NOT a master at all) and still I am not convinced of the mythical qualities sometimes attributed to platinum prints..heresy perhaps but I am strictly speaking for myself.

For some images it sings, for others its well bland..I taught myself Pt printing so that perhaps explains..;-)..but I did had print made by a master printer in my hands (Carl Weese)

Best,

Cor
    @Cor: I have not printed with pt-pd, but have experience with other processes for a long time. A good print relies on several factors (for pt-pd print, I have outlined below). Even a master printer cannot print a mythical print without several exposed strips wasted (as shown in V. Tony Hauser's video). Same applies to other processes including silver print. So, in my view, pd-pt like other processes always remains a trial and error method. Tolerance to bear the failure and a desire to experiment produce a better print, not only in pt-pd printing.

In summary, the variables to produce a "mythical" quality Pt-Pd prints reportedly are:
    1) density of chemicals (Potassium chloroplatinite - K2PtCl4 + Palladium dichloride - PdCl2 and Ferric Oxalate- C6Fe2O12) in emulsion
    2) quality of negative (Mitsubishi Pictorico OHP transparency for digital negatives with digital colour correction)
    3) strength and temperature of the developer (Potassium ferrioxalate - K3[Fe(C2O4)3] )
    4) quality and structure of the paper fibers
    5) a nose for understanding and experimenting with chemical processes, and
    6) the passion to face the challenges of failure to succeed.

Correct me if I missed something. Thanks!

PS: You mentioning "masters" reminded me of an ancient Sanskrit expression that reads, "Nothing can grow under the eminence of a banyan tree." (for knowing more about banyan, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan)

/z
    Last edited by zenny; 21-May-2012 at 07:57. Reason: Added PS.