Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Platinum Printing?

Re: Platinum Printing?

7) An image worth printing

Vaughn

Thanks, Don.

I'm sure that one can learn to be an excellent platinum printer without ever taking a workshop; it's just that many of us like to learn from demonstrations by someone who already knows.

It has been said that platinum printing, like so many other endeavors, is easy to learn but difficult to master. The "master"part comes from long experience and making and dealing with many mistakes.

Best of luck, Zenny. You seem to have the interest and commitment, and I'm sure you will do well if you wish.

Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

Thumbs up Re: Platinum Printing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lambert View Post
    Thanks, Don.

I'm sure that one can learn to be an excellent platinum printer without ever taking a workshop; it's just that many of us like to learn from demonstrations by someone who already knows.

It has been said that platinum printing, like so many other endeavors, is easy to learn but difficult to master. The "master"part comes from long experience and making and dealing with many mistakes.

Best of luck, Zenny. You seem to have the interest and commitment, and I'm sure you will do well if you wish.

Wayne

Thank Wayne for encouraging comment. :-) I cannot say for sure that I could be a good one, but try to print some anyway.

Before I posted this comment, I was checking your interesting site as Don advised to. I could see the difference between the quality of platinum and inkjet printing with one of your photographs. I just put them side by side to check the difference (see attachment, but they belong to you).

Some of your pictures are mind blowing! :-D Thank you very much for sharing! And thanks to community here!

/z
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comparision_platiumum_inkjet.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    7) An image worth printing

Vaughn
    Oh missed that part! Thanks for appending! :-D

Zenny,

Thank you for your kind remarks. I have two types of prints because I have two types of 8 x 10 (and 4 x 5) negatives: early negatives that were made for gelatin-silver printing and later negatives made for platinum/palladium printing. Recently, I have printed the early negatives with an Epson 3880 printer and Epson inks. Also, I scanned all the negatives that are represented on my website with an Epson V700 scanner and, for consistency, made the images on my website from these scanned negatives. I experimented with Epson Advanced Black and White until I found a color for the digital prints that closely matches my palladium prints. Also, for the website I use a color that mimics the palladium color. I believe that one of the two images of Arminda is the only image on the website that is scanned from a palladium print; I use it as an example of a scanned print. You reproduced both the Arminda from scanned print and the Arminda from scanned negative. The one on the left is from the scanned print; it's on-screen color is not as warm as the original print. In terms of prints, it is amazing to me how closely the palladium prints and the digital prints resemble each other. I attribute it in part to the fact that I make the digital print the same size as the palladium print.

Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net