Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming trip to New Mexico

Upcoming trip to New Mexico

My girlfriend is presenting a paper at the photo-conservator's conference in Albuquerque this week. I'll be joining her on Thursday, and we're going to head up to Santa Fe for three days, followed by three days in Taos. I'm bringing the 4x5 and we hope to spend some time photographing along with the usual vacation stuff. Of course that's a rich environment for a landscape shooter; we've been studying the on-line tourist resources (which are a help), and we're looking for informed/local ideas about places to explore. Not to mention opinions on good food and cheap eats (not that those are mutually exclusive). Also, opinions on which galleries are worth going to will be welcome. (We have places to stay.) And we'd be happy to meet-up with any forum members who might live in the area...
    I haven't been in the West since 2005 and we've never been to New Mexico, so the idea of new country to see is exciting to say the least. And for those of you who don't know my work, I've just put up a (rudimentary) website at www.marksampsonphoto.com.

Octogenarian

Re: Upcoming trip to New Mexico

Mark,

If you have access to a vehicle, here's a nice day trip:

North on I 25 to Las Vegas, NM.

Take 518 north out of Las Vegas to La Cuerva, NM.

There's an old adobe mill up there, along with many colorful scenes to photograph.

It's a bit of a drive, but good roads, and well worth the trip.

Check it out on the Google map.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

The Andrew Smith Gallery in Santa Fe is outstanding. Lunch at Rancho de Chimayo, on the high road to Taos, is also outstanding.
    Last edited by Peter York; 7-May-2012 at 14:18.
    Peter Y.

Andrew Smith, Verve, PhotoEye and the Monroe Gallery are the best photo galleries. Andrew Smith has more classic works. Verve is more contemporary and Monroe deals more with photojournalism. These all have great people at them too. In other words no snobs.

Take a trip along the Turquoise Trail and check out the old churches and missions. The landscape is great along the trail too. Taos Pueblo is worth the trip and is one end of the TT.

If you have the time go down to White Sands. You will never forget the place. You could also hit the lava beds on your way too which are strange, and Three Rivers Petroglyphs while you are at it.

Las Vegas (New Mexico) is a great "old small town" with some touristy junk but also some authenticity, great architecture. It's a nice drive from SF, a bit harder from Taos.

In the other direction, Bandelier and Los Alamos hold a lot of history and Americana.

I like driving out West in general, you can't go wrong in NM if you like odd bits and not the usual destinations.

Also in Espanola, NM, a great place to eat is El Paragua. http://www.elparagua.com/

As for places to eat try Tomasita's in Santa Fe. It is next to the RailRunner Train station and has great food.

As for places to photograph, you can try the Pecos river valley east of Santa Fe. Go north from Pecos, NM on Hwy 63. There is lots of river to work with, and the road ends up in the Jack's Creek area and the beginning of the Pecos Wilderness. The road is paved, with lots of places to stop. You can also try hwy 285 north from Santa Fe, then west on 502 until you hit Hwy 4. This takes you to the Villas Caldera area and the Jemez Mountains. From Albuquerque, you could head west out I40 to Grants and visit the Mount Taylor area, or the El Malpais National Monument. The sandstone cliffs at El Malpais are kinda nice. There are a zillion other places, but these areas should get you started.

Just thinking about the drive to Taos. Hwy 68 follows the Rio Grande for quite a ways and there are several places where you can get down to the river. Hwy 570 at Pilar follows the Rio Grande for a few miles upstream. There is also the Wild Rivers area of the Rio Grande Gorge north and west of Questa. You may find some images in these areas as well.

If you have any questions let me know.

The Bisti Badlands and Bisti Wilderness south of Farmington and north of Crown Point is a must see place of hoodoos and fantasy rock formations. Caution though, it's very-very hot, no shade, and easy to get turned around and temporarily lost.
    http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/wilderness/bisti.html
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/new...nds/index.html

Consulting the pineal gland

Since it is timely, this seems like a good place to mention that near Taos, the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is currently closed to all traffic from 7pm until 7am.
    This is for a repaving operation which will continue until around the 20th or so.
    This Gorge Bridge is both a popular tourist destination as well as the major route across the Rio Grande in NM north of Espanola.

You can go around at night via the Pilar Junction Bridge in Orilla Verde BLM rec area south of Taos taking 570 (from NM68 in Pilar), go through the rec area until the main road goes over the one-lane tressel bridge and up the side of the gorge to the Rim Road which intersects US64 just west of the gorge bridge rest area west of the gorge. The Rim Road is right at the first paved intersection shortly after you get to the top, NM567 towards Carson is Left.
    Note that NM570 is wash-boarded gravel with steep sections including sharp switchbacks, going up the on west side. It is passable to most passenger cars but it unsettles some city folk, one should use all due caution especially at night or with larger vehicles. Beautiful area, just took my little motorbike down there yesterday... makes for an exciting ride.
    Last edited by Thebes; 9-May-2012 at 12:40. Reason: spellin and clarity