Thread: Old Schneider Xenar 240mm 4.5 in compound 1 - Covering and sample images

Old Schneider Xenar 240mm 4.5 in compound 1 - Covering and sample images

Greetings,

I am searching for a nice portrait lens in order to use for my next portrait project and therefore would like to know if this lens covers 8x10 ,
    and if someone here has made portraits with this lens ( look/bokeh/sharpness)

Best Regards

Luke

Re: Old Schneider Xenar 240mm 4.5 in compound 1 - Covering and sample images

Have a look at this page https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...4,5-420mm.html

Don't have a clue about coverage on the xenar or images but I hope the linked page atleast gives you an idea of coverage - I've just bought a Symmar 240mm from Ebay for £60. But as far as I am aware wide open you will be quite impressed. (Though at this stage I'm using it on 5x4)

Here's a thought have a wee look over on flickr, there could be a few examples over there.

I would expect that a 240mm Xenar (a Tessar-type lens) would barely cover 8x10 at small stops, e.g. f/22. It will be fairly wide on 8x10 as well. Such a lens wouldn't be my choice but it might work for you.

Thank you very much for your help, i realized and had forgotten that a nice Portrait distance at 8x10 Starts at arround 360mm , yes its Kind of wide , perhaps more of a Outdoor bodyshots Lens , i will have a Look if i can find some Sample Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I would expect that a 240mm Xenar (a Tessar-type lens) would barely cover 8x10 at small stops, e.g. f/22.
    From my experience with 4.5 Tessars, I would expect to get very soft corners at infinity, even at small stops. For the Xenar, Schneider claims an image circle of 282mm at f16.

Michael

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Here's a Xenar example, shot wiide open with lots of swing and a touch of tilt, 300mm f:4.5 Xenar on 5x7" film:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POP2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	73365

Schneider sold this as a 5x7 (13 x 18cm) lens. At portrait distances you might get enough extra image circle to cover 8x10, and of course the corners don't usually matter as much in a portrait so vignetting/fuzziness might not be a big issue for you. I would note that the 240 Xenar comes in a Compound IV, not a Compur 1, which is a much larger shutter and has a maximum top speed of 1/75. Again, this may not matter to you.

Great one Ole!

Thank you for you help so far, i have it mounted on the compound 1 shutter with the 1/75th max shutterspeed , i will try to mount it on the 8x10 and see how much coverage i get in portrait distance, maybe i can use it for 4x5 too

here is a picture of the beauty :-)

That lens will cover 8x10 with room for movement (small ones) I use one on 8x10 often. The corners won't be very sharp on 8x10 regardless of what stop and I like that. Some may not. Here's a shot on 8x10 infrared film. It's not the best example to show edge coverage or sharpness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pass car final print for AG works.jpg