Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning underside of glass in Epson V700 scanner?

Re: Cleaning underside o glass in Epson V700 scanner?

Good updates to a thread I don't think I ever read.

My V700 is now about 7 years old and my humidity inside my new studio is 61% with match outside temp.

It's a damp warmth!
    Tin Can

Re: Cleaning underside o glass in Epson V700 scanner?

I would recommend any semi-serious photographer learn how to open up a scanner and clean the underside of the glass. The plastic housings in all of them will outgas, and it will become a problem on every scanner at some point. So it's a good maintenance procedure to learn. And it's not hard to do.

The hardest part, in my experience, is actually cleaning the room to do it in. You don't want to get any dust inside the scanner while you've got it open, so you need to work in a clean room with clean air, and work relatively quickly. Other than that, it's just operating a screw driver and cleaning glass.

As a tip, I use cheap paper towels for this. I've found the more expensive paper towels are softer and leave more fibers behind. The cheap ones tend to clean glass and stuff better, even if they're less absorbent.

Re: Cleaning underside of glass in Epson V700 scanner?

>>The hardest part, in my experience, is actually cleaning the room to do it in. <<

If you have a bathroom large enough to work, give it a good cleaning and wipe-down. Then run a hot shower long enough to steam up the room a bit. Turn off the shower and let things cool down for a while. You should have a clean room with almost no dust in the air as long as you keep the door closed as much as possible while going in and out to get the scanner.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Good advice. Mine is a little over a year old do needs it. Based on my scan of glass a few months back.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>The hardest part, in my experience, is actually cleaning the room to do it in. <<

If you have a bathroom large enough to work, give it a good cleaning and wipe-down. Then run a hot shower long enough to steam up the room a bit. Turn off the shower and let things cool down for a while. You should have a clean room with almost no dust in the air as long as you keep the door closed as much as possible while going in and out to get the scanner.

My problem is I have a cat that has to come in and check to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

My cat wants to lie on my scanner lid when scanning.

If your glass is foggy the mirrors will be too. A while back I opened up my Canon and cleaned the whole shebang. PITA, but the scans are super clean again without any flare around the edges. The mirrors need to be spotless if you want good scans. In my case the offending mirror was the first mirror closest to the lens that had never been cleaned which meant quite a bit of disassembling. I don't know about Epson.

I have used a V700 for at least 6 years and before that a few lesser iterations back to 1996.

I may just buy a new V850 as I want the upgrade to LED and...

I consider it the cost of operation. About $10 a month.

However the production lifespan of the V700 was 8 years until V850 introduction in 2014, so maybe I should wait a year or so.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My problem is I have a cat that has to come in and check to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Kent in SD
    What a helpful feline you have. But maybe you can give it another job while doing the cleaning?