Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning underside of glass in Epson V700 scanner?

joseph

Re: Cleaning underside o glass in Epson V700 scanner?

Thank you- I think it's something I'd consider doing if the fogging was much worse, or if a marked increase in contrast was reported...

Quote Originally Posted by architorture View Post
    I had quite a bit of fogging on the underside of the glass on my v700 a year or two ago after it had sat in a room without air conditioning over the summer.

I was able to use the tape method to remove the screw covers, and the whole process was really very easy. I think I did do some tests re-scanning a couple images, but I didn't notice any great difference. Felt much better though to be rid of the fog anyway.

It did get me thinking though about making a custom mount to replace the glass that would support film holders for glass-less scanning. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do.
    You might end up with more dust spots on your scans than before. It is relatively easy to remove dust from the glass, but if it gets into the scaning mechanism, it seems to me there would be more places for it to hide.

looks like we're not the only ones to have this idea:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/466058@...57629753853032

These guys actually tried it, with no visible improvement though.

How much light does it block? If it's significant it may be worth cleaning. Do you have a spot you can identify that needs fixing every time you scan in that area? My HP G4050 collected a fare amount of dirt in the lid. This translated to the same blotches needing to be fixed in post. I eventually just removed the glass in the lid all together and noticed a good improvement.

I cleaned mine recently and have noticed a marked decrease in the amount of spotting/retouching I am now doing on my scans.

I just spotted 3 fungus on the underside of my V700 scan bed, followed the instruction to open the TOP cover, removed the fungus ...

now, happy man
    Billy

At ease, disease… There's a fungus amongus!
    Michael Cienfuegos

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I cleaned the haze off of the undersinde of the glass on my 4990 a few months ago. It wasn't hard, but took some time and was a bit tedious to get back together. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped, since I still need to spend about the same time as before dust spotting the scans, and too make matters worse, there is a faint blue veritcal line that now shows up on some of the scans. I think a piece of dust must have fallen in the works somewhere, which causes the lines. It's a pain to clone out, so I probably will need to clean the thing again, but that could make it worse. Anyone have something like this happen and any advice on how to deal with it?
    Brian Vuillemenot

Based on all that was written here I cleaned my V750 Pro. Opened up the screw covers with a scalpel. Managed to clean the glass perfectly, no more haziness. Thank you!

Have just found this thread in 2019 as my Epson V700 started showing "blotches" in scans. Will now hopefully be able to clean the glass with confidence.

Tom