Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJ Large Format Newbie Looking to Meet Up

Re: NJ Large Format Newbie Looking to Meet Up

Water Gap?

I'm in Rockaway so might be available in Morris County.

Bob,

You're in Rockaway? Where abouts...? I grew up in Rockaway...
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

I visited the Great Swamp NWR this past weekend 9/9/12. There is a board walkway section which traverses part of the swamp. I was hoping to get some "black water" shots but it has been so dry the entire swamp in this section is leaf litter.

The Delaware Water Gap is one of the my favorite spots to shoot; Dunfield Creek Natural Area has some fine waterfalls. But again, it's been a dry summer so the flow is minimal. But during autumn, the hike up the red dot trail to the summit of Mt. Tammany and back down through Dunfield Creek can be extrememly photogenic, as is the hike up to Sunfish Pond. I'm definitely doing that loop with the 4x5 once the colors change.

Hackelbarney State Park is a nice glacial ravine with some fine boulders and small waterfalls. There is also a grist mill near by with some interesting 19th century stuff.

I'm in Burlington County, close to the Pinelands. There's a nice trail along the east side of Batsto Lake that has amazing mountain laurel in late April. In that same area, the wild blueberries and similar plants turn bright red in mid-October. Corsons Inlet SP near Ocean City is an unspoiled area where you can work with dunes and plants characteristic to the area, along with a wide beach that sometimes has interesting contours in the sand at low tide. I concur about Hacklebarney, there are some excellent spots along the Black River trail there that can be quite impressive when the fall foliage is out, as well as in the spring. There is also Ken Lockwood Gorge near Califon which is great in the fall and spring. I've enjoyed working with the frozen ponds at Whitesbog in midwinter. In a few weeks they'll be harvesting the cranberries there that I saw ripening a couple of weeks ago.

I'm out with my 4x5 just about every weekend, send me a PM if anyone would like to organize an expedition.

Above the mall in the Township It is above Birchwood.

Having spent many years imaging Great Swamp, the Pine Barrens and Hacklebarney with 4x5, I would strongly urge you to consider only the wilderness area of Great Swamp (forget the boardwalk area), Martha's Furnace in the Pines (I have so many real nice images from here), and as others have stated, Hackelbarney in the fall or spring. I have also found areas of Cape May COunty very interesting including some lesser known bogs in season. Drop me a pm if you want more details.