Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: focuing cloth help

focuing cloth help

I just started out in large format photography, and I'm cheating really.
    I'm using a 6x9cm field camera of unknown make with a105mm ziess lens taken from an old folding camera. I'm using a speed graphic "23" 120 roll film back. I've exposed 1 roll of film and I'm awaiting the results. i haven't started experimenting with camera movement yet, i want to check my focusing and exposeure control first.
    The only practical problem I've had so far is controlling the black cloth that I use for focusing in a wind. Any Ideas for preventing it from blowing over my head then in front of the lens.
    Thanks for your help,

Neil.

Re: focuing cloth help

Sticky-back Velcro placed at strategic locations so you can attach the cloth to your camera and to itself to keep it down has been my best solution so far. Some dark cloths have weighted corners, but these can break a ground glass when whipping around in the wind and really hurt when they hit you in the head

I have a home-made dark cloth made of white Gore-Tex lined with black material and with Velcro sewn on the edges all the way around. I can close myself and the camera up in it if I like. You could just get some of the self-adhesive heavy-duty Velcro strips and attach them where most needed to do about the same thing.

Best,

Doremus

Using a BTZS hood or some other kind of hood rather than a traditional horse-blanket style dark cloth will eliminate the problem of the wind blowing the dark cloth over the lens. www.viewcamerastore.com for the BTZS hood. Also will probably save some weight and space.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Octogenarian

Neil,

For a 6x9 field camera, a 19" black Domke wrap should work just fine.

When not used as a dark cloth, it will wrap and protect the entire camera.

I'm not sure Domke wraps are sold in the UK, but I'm sure similar ones are available.

Quote Originally Posted by neilwf View Post
    I just started out in large format photography, and I'm cheating really.
    I'm using a 6x9cm field camera of unknown make with a105mm ziess lens taken from an old folding camera. I'm using a speed graphic "23" 120 roll film back. I've exposed 1 roll of film and I'm awaiting the results. i haven't started experimenting with camera movement yet, i want to check my focusing and exposeure control first.
    The only practical problem I've had so far is controlling the black cloth that I use for focusing in a wind. Any Ideas for preventing it from blowing over my head then in front of the lens.
    Thanks for your help,

Neil.
    Hi Neil,
    I've been using ground glass cameras for over 60 years and have always had the same problem. One suggestion not relating to wind blowing is that you should have a two sided focus cloth, one side white, one side black, when in the summer sun, you will appreciate that.

Lynn

I hit on the idea of using a heavy weight, XXL black cotton T shirt as a dark cloth. The neck fits around the back of my camera perfectly, and until it began to get stretched out never fell off. I taped the sleeves shut with gaffer's tape to keep dark from leaking out, but it occurs to me that a long sleeved t with the wrists cut off might be nice to stick a loupe in while under the cloth.

The material blocks out enough light to allow me to see my ground glass very well. The cotton breathes so it does not get so hot in there. And best of all, it is a lot lighter to carry in my pack than my old, heavy dark cloth was.

I do the same thing as Dan, except I have sewn 2 black T Shirts together, one end goes over my head and the other over the camera. I use the arm holes to stick a loupe through when under the cloth, but I probably should sew the other arm up. I look really super cool doing it too. So cool that nobody will come out with me when I take the camera out, but it was cheap and it works for me.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I'll certainly take them all on board.
    I like the BTZS hood the only issue would be the cost. I live in the UK by the time I've paid shipping, import duty, and local taxes (VAT), the price has more than doubled.
    I'm not keen on the weights in the corners idea. As you say in a high wind they could damage me or the camera.
    The T shirt thing may be the way to go. I also thought about fitting arm loops to a standard cloth to hold it down on my shoulders, and a clip to hold it to the camera. It looks like it's going to be a custom make though.
    I don't need to worry about keeping cool it's never that hot in the UK!

Neil.

Mine is home made. Used fishing tackle lead weights in all corners, 1 1/2-2" length, narrow body. Worked beautifully! Make sure that the outer layer is bright white, life under a dark cloth is difficult enough. Cheers

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I hit on the idea of using a heavy weight, XXL black cotton T shirt as a dark cloth. The neck fits around the back of my camera perfectly, and until it began to get stretched out never fell off. I taped the sleeves shut with gaffer's tape to keep dark from leaking out, but it occurs to me that a long sleeved t with the wrists cut off might be nice to stick a loupe in while under the cloth.

The material blocks out enough light to allow me to see my ground glass very well. The cotton breathes so it does not get so hot in there. And best of all, it is a lot lighter to carry in my pack than my old, heavy dark cloth was.
    I do this with smaller formats sometimes, but in reverse. I put my head through the neck of the shirt so it's hanging around my neck. When it's time to focus, I pull the shirt over my head and camera, using the sleeves for loupe access to the glass. It works well and with no additional cost since I already have the shirts.