Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Fastest Rebuild Ever! An 8x20 Korona Rebuild and Mod in 1 Night!

My Fastest Rebuild Ever! An 8x20 Korona Rebuild and Mod in 1 Night!

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this fun project with you all. This afternoon I took delivery of an 8x20 Korona from a member here. The camera has a fresh set of bellows on it which is awesome. The camera was missing the extension rail but a suitable replacement was provided. It was actually the front rail from an 8x10 but matches well. Essentially, I stripped down what needed to and made sure that everything was sitting right. I modified and mated the replacement extension rail to be a next to perfect fit to the camera. I also added a matching hinge so that the camera now has folding front and rear rails instead of a detachable one that would inevitably get lost and with the newly modified rail it has a max extension of 33 inches which isn't too bad. My 450mm and 600mm will do well with it.. The camera came without a back because the original back was mildly warped and needed to be fixed or replaced. I opted to replace it. I would have replaced it either way in order to make use of modern 8x10 film holders as opposed to the older non-ANSI Korona holders. I had an orphan 12x20 to 8x20 reducing back which I intended to use to make an 8x20 expansion back for my V11 Deardorff but which didn't work out because of practicality. I cut down the orphan back to make the new back for the 8x20 and it fits like a glove and the wood even matches fairly well. I still need to complete the light trap on the inside of the back but thats about it. It appears that my 6x6 Deardorff boards fit the camera which was a pleasant surprise and eliminates one of the things I would have had to modify on the camera. All I need to do is reduce the depth of the recess just slightly to make it a snug fit for the boards.

Attached are some images of the nearly completed camera. Now I'm going to bed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x20 front.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	72798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x20 back.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	72799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x20 front folded.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	72800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x20 back folded.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	72801

Re: My Fastest Rebuild Ever! An 8x20 Korona Rebuild and Mod in 1 Night!

Nice job! The hinge for the rear rail is a good idea.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks Jon! Loving this camera!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Nice job! The hinge for the rear rail is a good idea.

Jon
    Wouldn't it get in the way when not needed?

I'd find it a PITA when trying to focus whilst using a lens that only requires the front rail. (I don't have a lens that requires it on my 7x17, so leave the extension in a cupboard).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Wouldn't it get in the way when not needed?

I'd find it a PITA when trying to focus whilst using a lens that only requires the front rail. (I don't have a lens that requires it on my 7x17, so leave the extension in a cupboard).
    Not at all for me. I'm a long lens kind of guy. For me there is no such thing as a lens that doesn't require the rear rail. Thats why it was a no brainer for me. Even with shorter lenses I don't think the rail would really bother me at all but then again shorter lenses aren't a concern of mine

I wonder if it's possible to hinge it under the camera? Should just go around the tripod head hopefully. I thought about trying that on my old Korona but didn't bother.

Pretty sweet camera. Wish I could afford to fool with ULF panoramic stuff, both in terms of money and time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to hinge it under the camera? Should just go around the tripod head hopefully. I thought about trying that on my old Korona but didn't bother.
    Nah, wouldn't work. It'd upset the folded dimensions of the camera.

I've thought about a connector for under the front rail (leave on until required, then unclip) but this would get in the way of the stabilising rails.

When I get around to getting a 600mm lens, I'll put some real thought into it.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Most of the people here who can afford ULF are probably retired professionals with nice kitchen cabinets. I can tell you aren't, and that you're hardcore enough to say to Hell with the cabinetry. You'll eat rice and beans to buy film, right?

Kudos

I suppose you could find a way but it wouldn't really make sense to fold the camera that way unless you could be some way of it reversing to fold properly. Realistically, an 8x20 isn't a huge camera and even with both rails down the extension isn't that dramatic that you'd be concerned with the rail "getting in the way". My experience with ULF started with a 20x24 I restored from the back of an antique shop so compared to that the rest of my cameras are a cake walk. I suppose if I used wide lenses it might be a different story and I may not have installed the rear rail on a permanent hinge. In the case of fairly wide lenses the camera is probably more then adequate without the rear rail entirely.

Most of the people here who can afford ULF are probably retired professionals with nice kitchen cabinets. I can tell you aren't, and that you're hardcore enough to say to Hell with the cabinetry. You'll eat rice and beans to buy film, right?
    Frank, are you making fun of my cabinets!? Haha, I'm definitely no retired professional and my cabinets are bare except for a box of 7 month old cereal. The house we're in now (we rent) was partially remodeled and they did a half ass job on the kitchen but I didn't think it was that bad haha!

I'm just saying I respect your priorities!