Thread: Focusing for Tomiyama Art Panorama 617

Mike Banks

Focusing for Tomiyama Art Panorama 617

I have recently purchased a second hand Tomiyama Art Panorama 617 and am confused with the focusing knob. It has markings from infinity to 90cm but there is about three revolutions in total of the knob so it is difficult to work out when it is focused at a particular distance. I am keeping it at infinity for most shots which is obvious as the bellows are fully closed but anywhere in between it is difficult to tell at what distance it is focused.

I have read on the internet that ground glass should be used with a loupe to focus before the film is loaded. Does anyone know how this actually works on this camera and also where could I find ground glass to fit this camera?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Focusing for Tomiyama Art Panorama 617

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
    I have recently purchased a second hand Tomiyama Art Panorama 617 and am confused with the focusing knob. It has markings from infinity to 90cm but there is about three revolutions in total of the knob so it is difficult to work out when it is focused at a particular distance. I am keeping it at infinity for most shots which is obvious as the bellows are fully closed but anywhere in between it is difficult to tell at what distance it is focused.

I have read on the internet that ground glass should be used with a loupe to focus before the film is loaded. Does anyone know how this actually works on this camera and also where could I find ground glass to fit this camera?

Thank you in advance.
    I also own this camera and love it. I can tell you what I did. First of all, the ground glass is located within the camera. on the back of the camera, where the slide number viewer is, you find the ground glass. The ground glass is within the slide that you pull out so that you can view the film slide numbers. Simply pull this slide all the way out and the ground glass is resting on it. The focusing knob is usable if you simply do a little testing with the ground glass to determine the actual focusing. For instance, I know that full extended i can focus up to 1 foot away. With two full rotations of the focusing knob, I can focus at two feet. 2m on the scale is actually infinity on my camera, rather than the bellows being totally closed. So, that's how i do it and it works very well. For exact focusing with close-up subjects it is best to use the ground glass. However, I have successfully focused close up (1 foot) without the ground glass successfully.

I could show you on webcam if you like. Get in touch.

Just checked these out, having never heard of them before; they are very nice, full-featured pano cameras.

Mike Banks

Quote Originally Posted by ministryofhealing View Post
    I also own this camera and love it. I can tell you what I did. First of all, the ground glass is located within the camera. on the back of the camera, where the slide number viewer is, you find the ground glass. The ground glass is within the slide that you pull out so that you can view the film slide numbers. Simply pull this slide all the way out and the ground glass is resting on it. The focusing knob is usable if you simply do a little testing with the ground glass to determine the actual focusing. For instance, I know that full extended i can focus up to 1 foot away. With two full rotations of the focusing knob, I can focus at two feet. 2m on the scale is actually infinity on my camera, rather than the bellows being totally closed. So, that's how i do it and it works very well. For exact focusing with close-up subjects it is best to use the ground glass. However, I have successfully focused close up (1 foot) without the ground glass successfully.
    Thanks for the info on the camera. I had no idea the ground glass was contained there and the process sounds quite easy to work out. However I decided to sell the camera and have bought a linhof technorama which I am finding a pleasure to use.

Thanks again and happy shooting.

Mike