Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Re: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Thanks Lachlan I will look into these.

Ill put a photo up tomorrow Alex, to confirm your looking at the nut which captures the camera mounting screw?
    Cheers Shane

Thanks Shane

The part I am looking for is circled in this pic. Forgot to mention it's the 1200 head with the 6x7 base plate, same as pictured.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	347374-1_300x300.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	147812

Sorry just re-read your post. I'm looking for that whole part, the screw (springed as well, I think?) as well as the top-hat shaped nut.

Lachlan 717

Okay - here's the hack:

You'll need a 1/4" 20 tpi bolt. 50mm long should do. You'll need a Wing nut to match the screw. Make sure this is a bolt, and not a screw. I'll explain further down on why.

Put the wing nut on the bolt, but make sure that it's upside down (wings facing the head of the bolt).

The add a decent thickness, 25mm metal washer.

This then goes through the bottom of the head, in to the screw slot. Here's where the clip washer comes into play. Bung it on. It will need to fit in to the track, though, otherwise, it'll upset the camera sitting on the base properly. If you have access to some metal working equipment, you can fabricate a piece to fit in the slot and just tap a 1/4" thread.

Done.

You use the bolt's head to screw the bolt in to the camera (thus why you need the bolt, not the screw. The flat sides of the bolt's head will assist you in screwing the bolt in). Once it's in, use the wing nut/washer to tension the camera to the tripod head.

Not as elegant as the original design. But, it'll get you going!!

If I can find a wing nut in the garage, I'll put the rig together and take a photo so this might make some more sense!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The original NOS sold out about a year ago. I may have bought the last, from the locally owned warehouse.

Sorry you cannot find one as they were a great design, which must have been patented. The screw is spring loaded to pop up, but if you missed mating female camera threads to the male, the male retracted, yet kept trying and when you shift the camera into the right spot, bingo. Seems to lessen damage to camera bottom.

No jokes please. It is the only way to describe this device. It has a couple more features, but I will stop while I am ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Okay - here's the hack:

You'll need a 1/4" 20 tpi bolt. 50mm long should do. You'll need a Wing nut to match the screw. Make sure this is a bolt, and not a screw. I'll explain further down on why.

Put the wing nut on the bolt, but make sure that it's upside down (wings facing the head of the bolt).

The add a decent thickness, 25mm metal washer.

This then goes through the bottom of the head, in to the screw slot. Here's where the clip washer comes into play. Bung it on. It will need to fit in to the track, though, otherwise, it'll upset the camera sitting on the base properly. If you have access to some metal working equipment, you can fabricate a piece to fit in the slot and just tap a 1/4" thread.

Done.

You use the bolt's head to screw the bolt in to the camera (thus why you need the bolt, not the screw. The flat sides of the bolt's head will assist you in screwing the bolt in). Once it's in, use the wing nut/washer to tension the camera to the tripod head.

Not as elegant as the original design. But, it'll get you going!!

If I can find a wing nut in the garage, I'll put the rig together and take a photo so this might make some more sense!

Awesome... thanks Lachlan... just the info I needed. And I'm not really about elegance... functionality overall!!
    You're a star Cheers

Hunt eBay for 1/4 thumb screws, you will loose the capture mechanism but it will get you going.

Or if you go to Bunnings and head to the cabinet section where you get the short cabinet legs to replace the one broken by your fat Aunty sitting on you table there have a screw in adjuster which is 1/4 and the knob section is a biggish diameter which might work too.
    Cheers Shane

Sounds like you have issues from your childhood Shane.

Not just my childhood.....
    Cheers Shane