Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    24

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Actually, the only quality improvement I could find was to reduce the advertised coverage of the lenses in the early 1960's. For instance that famous/infamous 90/6.8 was at one time claimed to cover 100 degrees, and later only 80 degrees. Since there was no change to the lens, that would indicate that people wanted sharper lenses so they made them sharper by disinheriting the un-sharp portion of the image circle.

    Lenses that did not need extended coverage were always great. My long gone Rolleiflex 2.8 E2 Xenotar (1957 vintage) was a sharp as one could ask for, but notice that when they went from the f/3.5 to the f/2.8 version of that lens they also went from 75mm to 80mm which indicates that the 75mm would not quite have sharp corners in that format. My opinion was that the Xenotar was a little bit more contrasty than the Planar.

    What I am saying here is that I have never seen any quality control issues in Schneider lens if they were in "as new" condition. By "as new" I mean in the mechanical/optical condition they came from the factory in, not cosmetic condition. Remember, a lot of old lenses have been FIXED by IDIOTS.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    435

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    The Symmars shown as "convertible" were very low contrast and not very sharp except as converted where they were pretty good. When the Symmars as Symmar S with conventional coating showed up they were truly excellent, and from then on.
    Lynn

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    The Symmars shown as "convertible" were very low contrast and not very sharp except as converted where they were pretty good. When the Symmars as Symmar S with conventional coating showed up they were truly excellent, and from then on.
    Lynn
    The convertible Symmars were and are excellent, sharp, contrasty lenses when used at their prime focal length. They do not of course have as much contrast as the multicoated non-convertible versions, however the difference is not great.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  4. #14
    IanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aegean (Turkey & UK)
    Posts
    4,122

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The convertible Symmars were and are excellent, sharp, contrasty lenses when used at their prime focal length. They do not of course have as much contrast as the multicoated non-convertible versions, however the difference is not great.
    I think Lynn's statement was the wrong way around, as a whole the lenses are very good, decent contrast etc.

    Ian

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I think Lynn's statement was the wrong way around, as a whole the lenses are very good, decent contrast etc.

    Ian
    I should hope so. If I have been using a very low contrast and unsharp lens without realising it these past 25 or so years, there is something seriously wrong....
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  6. #16
    All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Actually, the only quality improvement I could find was to reduce the advertised coverage of the lenses in the early 1960's. For instance that famous/infamous 90/6.8 was at one time claimed to cover 100 degrees, and later only 80 degrees. Since there was no change to the lens, that would indicate that people wanted sharper lenses so they made them sharper by disinheriting the un-sharp portion of the image circle. ...
    Except that there IS a slight change in the lens. Pre-1960's Angulons do have a larger image circle, if the purpose is contact prints. The design tweak gave more even sharpness over the advertised coverage, at the cost of a more abrupt loss of sharpness beyond 80.

    I believe most of the "poor" Angulons have been affected by cement creep through improper storage. Since the inner elements in each cell are only held in place by the cement, storing an Angulon "on edge" in high temperatures might cause centralisation to be lost.

  7. #17
    IanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aegean (Turkey & UK)
    Posts
    4,122

    Re: When did Schneider's quality control improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    I believe most of the "poor" Angulons have been affected by cement creep through improper storage. Since the inner elements in each cell are only held in place by the cement, storing an Angulon "on edge" in high temperatures might cause centralisation to be lost.

    Dean Jones (Razzledog) posted on this forum that he'd found that there were significant variations in the cell spacing caused by the Compor shutters (usually too great) and that when he corrected this (by machining the shutter) lenses that had previously been poor performers improved significantly. This would indicate a quality issue with the Compur shutters which was over looked by Schneider.

    Ian

Similar Threads

  1. Schneider lens quality question
    By Norm Buchanan in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2007, 21:35
  2. Quality Control, Schneider XL Lenses, Input Please
    By Andre Noble in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2006, 12:22
  3. Anyone know if Wisner quality control and delivery has improved?
    By Don_4019 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4-Mar-2004, 20:55
  4. Today's Quality Control on Large Format Equipment Manufacturing
    By Ling Z in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 8-Dec-2003, 13:39
  5. Schneider Xenar 210mm f/4.5 Quality
    By Toby Chey in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Aug-1998, 11:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •