Thread: Mounting a barrel Heliar on its Compound shutter.

Mounting a barrel Heliar on its Compound shutter.

I came accross a Compound 3 shutter and thought of mounting my 210mm Heliar in it.

The back element unscrews easily and fits the back of the shutter nicely. Now the front, I have no idea how to unscrew nor where to begin.

Anyone?

Heliar por rabato, en Flickr

funkadelic

Re: Mounting a barrel Heliar on its Compound shutter.

In most cases, the iris scale stays witn the barrel, so you would unscrew the top section to remove. I'm viewing this on my phone, and the way i see it, it looks like yours is all one piece.
    It may not be designed to be removable. My Agfa Super Intergon is like this. If the flange can be unscrewed, maybe you could get a machinist to mill an adapter for you to "front mount" the lens in a larger shutter.

Thanks for the response Chris. It appears to be one piece. I am glad I only spent 7€ in the shutter which works beautifully. I was under the impression all Heliars and Xenars in 210mm could be fitted to a Compound 3.
    I am using the Heliar with a Speed Graphic so there's no need for machinery.
    I'll hold on to the shutter until some interesting cells come along. Now the ƒstop scale is pretty funky, it appears to be in milimeters (2,6 - 5 - 9 - 13 - 17 - 21 - 25 - 29 - 33 - 37 - 41)

With some exceptions, most Voigtlander LF lenses cannot be exchanged between barrel and shutter. As you've seen, the mounts are different. Also the spacers on the shutters can be custom for a specific lens, so sometimes swapping one shutter for another wont work either.

cheers

Tim

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Thanks for the response Chris. It appears to be one piece. I am glad I only spent 7€ in the shutter which works beautifully. I was under the impression all Heliars and Xenars in 210mm could be fitted to a Compound 3.
    I am using the Heliar with a Speed Graphic so there's no need for machinery.
    I'll hold on to the shutter until some interesting cells come along. Now the ƒstop scale is pretty funky, it appears to be in milimeters (2,6 - 5 - 9 - 13 - 17 - 21 - 25 - 29 - 33 - 37 - 41)
    7€ is a very good price for any shutter in good condition. Some may argue this, but I think your iris scale is preferable for someone who may want a casket set. If you have confirmed this is indeed a measured diameter of the iris, that is wonderful. Rather than the fixed f8, 11, 16, etc for a single set of elements, you have a premeasured diameter to work with. You can do the math in your head or make a table of various cells and their calculated apertures. I would be happy to give you 7€ for it if you want to recover your loss.