Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Parts Needed

Re: Durst L1840 Parts Needed

Thanks for the info... Sure, makes sense, but there is no manual focus knob! I have nothing to turn! Might not be an issue if my electrics work - I currently (HA!) don't have access to a 240V outlet. On that note, seems my 240V plug (??) is a standard 2-pin + ground commonly seen everywhere in No. Am. Did they supply it with that plug style or another special 240V style??

Quote Originally Posted by LFPete View Post
    Thanks for the info... Sure, makes sense, but there is no manual focus knob! I have nothing to turn! Might not be an issue if my electrics work - I currently (HA!) don't have access to a 240V outlet. On that note, seems my 240V plug (??) is a standard 2-pin + ground commonly seen everywhere in No. Am. Did they supply it with that plug style or another special 240V style??
    If it is 240 volt it would not be factory supplied with a 110V plug. Could your power supply be multi voltage?

Drew Wiley

If it was officially equipped to be exported to the US, it is very likely the focus and head-elevation motors are 115V, and can, if necessary, be operated completely independently of a 240V power supply, if that is even the case in your instance. One can simply remove the cover to the motor and check the label if it isn't legible on the outside of the housing.

Hmmm... I'll have to look more closely at the power supply. I'll post pics - thanks!

I have a motorized focus w/o any manual focus knob, and a manual-crank head elevation wheel.

As far as I know my 184 was used in a pro-lab near Boston.

Drew Wiley

You should have a manual knob for bellows focus directly opposite to where the motor gear engages, not at the same position. Look around.

Thanks, I've looked - no manual focus - it's an odd one!

It also has two switch-feet on the bottom of the adjustable focus frame. They are wired back into the motor. I think they are some kind of safety auto-stop. I found the power supply and up-down buttons. Will double check voltage requirements and give it a try. Worst case 120V won't kill a 240V circuit => fingers crossed.

The knobs in the pics rotate the head, they do not adjust focus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8181.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	197272

Name:	IMG_8182.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	197273
    Last edited by LFPete; 8-Nov-2019 at 15:12. Reason: additional text added

Drew Wiley

Yes, there would be a built-in auto stop. But what you need to take a picture of and post is the whole device area retaining the bottom of the bellows and lensboard. It's there, attached to a horizontal shaft, that the manual focus knob should hypothetically be.

Looks like you have a hybrid enlarger. Some Durst literature calls that part the 'camera' (not the 'cairrage' or 'head') and it is from a L1840. Looks like they grafted that onto a L184 chassis and put a sticker on it. I know that in the 1980s and 1990s the US Durst Importer (Colenta) would do some modifications to suit US customer's needs. My enlarger was modified by Colenta for graphic arts work upon arrival in the US.

Also, your Laraneg looks complete all you need is the glass. I'm actually getting dimensions ready to place an order for spare Laraneg glass from this place below. I have hesitated, because enough 10x10 glass for both my carriers will cost more than I paid for the enlarger. But it will be worth it in the long run as AN glass seems to be getting harder to source.

As for enlargers, we can supply direct replacement pieces for DeVere, Durst, Saltzman, Omega, Beseler, Zone VI, and others. Please just let us know.
    http://scan-tech.net/

Quote Originally Posted by LFPete View Post
    I found the power supply and up-down buttons. Will double check voltage requirements and give it a try.
    I'd be interested in seeing that. The usual L1840 focus motor is driven from electronics in the ECU1000 that sits between the legs of the L1840.

Name:	cleanup1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	197346
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-Nov-2019 at 07:40.

Thanks Drew, there is a horizontal shaft inside the housing that engages the two geared vertical lifting posts. The focus motor is inside at an angle and engages the geared horizontal shaft. The side housing covers do not have holes where one might expect a manual focus knob.

The knob in the top of the photo rotates the head. You can see there is no hole in the housing to accept a manual focus knob (i.e. I know one isn't missing, it was created like this).

Name:	IMG_8191.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	197306

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Yes, there would be a built-in auto stop. But what you need to take a picture of and post is the whole device area retaining the bottom of the bellows and lensboard. It's there, attached to a horizontal shaft, that the manual focus knob should hypothetically be.