Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning a Leitz Epis Projector lens into a "Universal Epis" -apologies to Voigtländer

Re: Turning a Leitz Epis Projector lens into a "Universal Epis" -apologies to Voigtlä

From what I've found even moving the front element in a triplet has a lot of effect on the 'glow' and softness of the lens. By using an older cheap triplet from a 6x9 folder, which generally have front-cell focusing, I could use the standard rails to focus and use the front-cell focusing to adjust the softness of the lens. By removing the pin that stops it from 'focusing' closer then 1m I could get some really nice results (Albeit not 4x5 covering results).

Re: Turning a Leitz Epis Projector lens into a "Universal Epis" -apologies to Voigtlä

I hope this photos illustrate the operation.
    Remember that the barrel is exactly the same length as the sleeve.
    The hacksaw cuts are as near to the glass/glass mounting as possible - plus about 3mm!
    The cell mounts for the front and rear are just thin walled threaded rings (the usual cheap projector system).
    The mount for the central -ve lens is far more substantial and gives good rigidity to the barrel part which remains moveable.
    So there are 3 hacksaw cuts - and none of them has to be perfect.
    The cut out section is not shown in the photo so the gap is the amount that the central central can move forward. The original distance between the front and rear lens will be the same but the middle lens will move 1 hacksaw's cut thickness nearer the rear lens in the "sharp" position.
    I originally thought that it would be great to have a waterhouse slot at this position and to use stops to reestablish the correct distance, but as you can see, this is exactly where the sleeve/flange system is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails episuni 001.jpg   episuni 002.jpg   episuni 003.jpg  

Steven, Any prints yet? Bill

Difficult to balance grandchildren/children/birthdays/spring clearout/darkroom.
    There are images in the filmholders (18x24) of flowering Fritillaria meleagris!

Quote Originally Posted by Math View Post
    From what I've found even moving the front element in a triplet has a lot of effect on the 'glow' and softness of the lens. By using an older cheap triplet from a 6x9 folder, which generally have front-cell focusing, I could use the standard rails to focus and use the front-cell focusing to adjust the softness of the lens.
    I think you have a Schneider Radionar. Do you?
    They are in good shutter, have front lens focusing, and removing the screw you can freely turn the front element as much as you like... until it falls down!
    AFAIK there should be some Radionar with enough FL to cover a 4x5" negative.
    I own a 105mm one, which is good for 120 backs, but there is a 135mm which should cover 4x5", as the Vademecum (just checked) reports a 60 degrees coverage.
    From the Vademecum i also learned a couple of things which were unkown to me:
    1) There is a 120mm in between the 105mm and the 135mm (it should cover, for close subjects)
    2) There were f/6.3 Radionars up to 500mm, though i doubt that they had front lens focusing

BTW, speaking of triplets and softness, i found that other lenses of the same design have that soft-ish signature, if used wide open. And not just the original TTH Cooke triplet.
    Steinheil Cassars are an example, and also Meyer Trioplans (not just the expensive soft-focus or portrait versions, also the standard version with f/3.5 or f/4.5 aperture, which i am very happy to own).

Steven, i'd call it Epis Portrait, instead of Universal Epis IIRC, it's working exactly as the Cooke Portrait Series IIE i have at home!

have fun

CJ

Steven, Is it time yet? I can't hold it any longer. Need to see...

I have taken the shots - but fearing the darkroom after 3 fiascos, I have have lots of excuses! I also need a trip into Copenhagen to pick up fresh developer and fixer.
    Since I last wrote, I have had a coated Cooke IIe to service (owned by someone else in the family, unfortunately!) and can assure you that it is the front lens that shots forward - not the central -ve lens as in the Universal.

Glad I just happened to stumble across your thread, I've got the same lens (in black, but I might have to see if there's brass hiding under there!) and have been drawing up plans to build a camera around it. A forum member gave me an 8x10 pinhole as a base for the project, so I'm heading for a semi-dedicated 8x10 portrait camera. I've done quick & dirty tests with the lens in the window with curtains drawn around it and can get very nice looking 11x14 coverage, even nicer with an f11 aperture disc in the front. I'll be very interested to see what sort of coverage you get out of your lens in real-world application.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

I can give you coverage later to-day (the development is still in limbo!) as I can mount it on a 30x40cm camera now!

That'd be a nice size/aspect ratio to work in... I'll be happy with getting this 8x10 up and shooting for now, but who knows where it'll end up

I just Popped out to the shed and attacked the flip lid of my lens with some steel wool, certainly looks brassy under there to me, but won't reveal itself easily. I guess I'll have to decide whether to keep it black, or spend the elbow grease and get that classic look...?

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.