Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

Lachlan 717

Re: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    There are a lot of bad 8" Pentacs out there.
    Care to elaborate?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The "convertible Symmars" of the 1960's were certainly not the best that Schneider ever made, I'd go for the 203 Ektar, not a great deal of swing and tilt but incredibly sharp. You can soften a sharp lens but the reverse you cannot do! The Pentac was pretty good but I'm still going for the 203 Ektar.

Lynn

Thanks for the help so far, still tempted by the Pentac, if I can get it cheaply (though last one went for £240, from a starting bid of £9. . . ).

My 8" Pentac does not have Dallmeyer name on it and it is quite soft at wide open. But it is very sharp at smaller apertures.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
    Thanks for the help so far, still tempted by the Pentac, if I can get it cheaply (though last one went for £240, from a starting bid of £9. . . ).
    I'd suggest also searching by the Pentac's specifications (perhaps use the "Dallmeyer" and "f2.9" info), as these were occasionally not branded "Pentac". I have seen these badged as MOD lenses, as well as other military's nomenclature (there was an Australian Defence Force one for sale recently).
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    My 8" Pentac does not have Dallmeyer name on it and it is quite soft at wide open. But it is very sharp at smaller apertures.
    You've just sold the lens even more to me for the subject matter in mind. Already planning a few shots now. . . Could be a bad thing I just got a letter informing me my credit limit has increased. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I'd suggest also searching by the Pentac's specifications (perhaps use the "Dallmeyer" and "f2.9" info), as these were occasionally not branded "Pentac". I have seen these badged as MOD lenses, as well as other military's nomenclature (there was an Australian Defence Force one for sale recently).
    And a thank you to you too sir, I had neglected that point, and have increased what I can watch with baited breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    The "convertible Symmars" of the 1960's were certainly not the best that Schneider ever made, I'd go for the 203 Ektar, not a great deal of swing and tilt but incredibly sharp. You can soften a sharp lens but the reverse you cannot do! The Pentac was pretty good but I'm still going for the 203 Ektar.

Lynn
    The 1960's early 70's convertible Symmar lenses that I used were all superb lenses, they were the mainstay of top professional studios here in the UK. What they weren;t was good convertible lenses that's another story but then Schnieder sold the Angulons as Triple convertibles at one time.

Ian

Cheers Ian, given the available bellows extension and what I intend on shooting the longest lens I'd be using would be about 240mm. Unless I move up to 10x8. . .

Lachlan 717

Just in case you haven't seen what the Pentac's like wide open, here's a shot from a few years ago of my Dad (an old Sea-dog, made to look somewhat Hemingway-esk…)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pops1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	71353
    Lachlan.