Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide open

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide o

Great thread and great information, im really new to this topic,

but is there a way to use old "non shutter" lenses on 8x10 with some kind of focal plane shutter like on the speed graphic,

are there cameras having focal plane shutters? I think not? sorry for my questions but would like to know!
    only thing i have seen , self made paper card shutters holding in front of the lens, are there other possibilities

Luke

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 not sure wich way to go/can replicate the look of an 8x10 shot wide o

well if your exposure is 1 second and over it seem pretty easy to do it your self, i always get unstuck at 1/1000th

but really, people use hats for eg. so i reckon you could rig some thing up. a lens cap or maybe a spring loaded lens cap.

i have never done it.
    through a glass darkly...

FWIW, I would think the lens would have more to do with the "wide open" look than the format, but then I could be full of beans.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

hacker extraordinaire

You are not full of beans. Fundamentally, camera format is irrelevant to DOF. Entire internets of not-quite-incorrect forum posts could be eliminated if people would know the barest bit of thin-lens optics theory. But I guess that's asking too much of photographers.

For a given composition, the only technical variable that can have any effect on the DOF is the diameter, D, of the lens opening (for a constant definition of print sharpness, which is so obvious that it does not need mentioned).

(Queue dozens more not-quite-incorrect, overly convoluted arguments about how I am wrong)
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Nothing beats shooting and developing a lot of negatives. Work it out with an 8x10 that can accept a 4x5 reducing back. You will be able to see what the difference is using the samwe lenses.

Don't get caught up in looking for THE ONE solution to your project. Try something and then try another thing. Photogrsaphy is not an end . . .its a journy (some might say its a &$%*-ing pilgramage)
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Disregarding the fact that John's post is a year and a half old...

The lens has no idea what size film is behind it.

If you take a shot on 8x10, you will have an image.
    If you then cut a 4x5 area from that 8x10, you will have a different image.
    If you then cut a 6x6 area from that 4x5, you will have a different image.
    If you then cut a 24x36 area from that 6x6, you will have a different image.

Has any aspect of the rendered image changed in those four pieces of film? Of course not.
    Depth of field will be absolutely identical on the film.

The effect will be more or less obvious on a final print depending on the enlargement factor.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.