Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copal #1 Polaroid shutter blades reassembly

Re: Copal #1 Polaroid shutter blades reassembly

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    I did exactly the same thing last year, on the same shutter.
    Thanks for chiming in.
    A view days ago i stumbled over your post about your attempt to fix this. Your pragmatics in leaving out the 6th blade made me smile. Nice that it worked.
    Here is an image of a similar press shutter and you can see the small ones sticking out a bit on the edge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shutterblades.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	71121
    As for logics it would make sense, that the 6th blade uses the same mount as the first on. But that is just a quess. If that would be correct, two of the small spacer blades mount on top of blade 4 and 5. Can' figure out if there is one on top of blade 3. It looks like, but is hard to see. It would make sense, because the topping 6th blade would make the last spacer needless. I'm confident that we get your "spare" blade back where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by grumero View Post
    Thanks for chiming in.
    A view days ago i stumbled over your post about your attempt to fix this. Your pragmatics in leaving out the 6th blade made me smile. Nice that it worked.
    Here is an image of a similar press shutter and you can see the small ones sticking out a bit on the edge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shutterblades.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	71121
    As for logics it would make sense, that the 6th blade uses the same mount as the first on. But that is just a quess. If that would be correct, two of the small spacer blades mount on top of blade 4 and 5. Can' figure out if there is one on top of blade 3. It looks like, but is hard to see. It would make sense, because the topping 6th blade would make the last spacer needless. I'm confident that we get your "spare" blade back where it belongs.
    Let me know if you get the 6th blade in place!

/gth

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Let me know if you get the 6th blade in place!/gth
    @gth
    Finally I got the repair manual and can tell how the shutterblades have to be assembled. Including your 6th 'spare'
    It's just the way I was assuming.
    Blade 6 goes on top where blade 1 is mounted.
    The three subsidiary blades (the small ones) go on top of the blades 3, 4 and 5.

Cheers,
    grumero

Some shutter work well without the "cover" blade, others don't like it very much. That's what i have been told.

Repairing a shutter isn't rocket science, and it's perfectly possible to learn it on your own, with lots of time and patience.
    The friend who repairs my shutters (IF and WHEN he likes to do it, unfortunately), is 100% self-taught.
    Whoever is willing to give it a try, better start with some junk stuff of no economic value, so you can practice without any fear.
    Two things are needed, which i totally miss: patience and steady hands.
    When i tried doing something that was beyond my capabilities, i ended up getting really furious!
    I remember frantically searching for an air-like spring in the fireplace!

I think i'll try my luck with an ultrasound cleaner, using lighter fuel as cleaning liquid.
    You're not supposed to use inflammable materials, but i have found that somebody did it, without any problem.
    A way to clean a "gummed" shutter, without removing too many screws, would be very welcome.
    Then, if needed, you can apply a micro-drop of light gun oil with a toothpick... and only where is needed.

have fun

CJ