Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copal #1 Polaroid shutter blades reassembly

Copal #1 Polaroid shutter blades reassembly

Hi all.
    I tried to fiddle with my Copal #1 Polaroid self cocking shutter because it stuck and the times are slow.
    It is from the Polaroid MP-3 camera with a nice 127 Tominon lens.
    As a newby I opened the wrong side up first and ... oops, the shutterblades fell out.
    There are 5 shutter positions but 6 shutterblades (?) and also 3 smaller (kind of) washer blades (?).
    Does anyone know what is the propper alignment of the elements for reassembly.
    The shutter is fired with a cable release and stucks after a view shots and the lever does not recock.
    After fiddling a bit it's working again for a view releases than it stucks again.
    Does anyone have a repair manual or some illustrations of the inner parts?
    I definitely would love to get that thing working again.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: Copal #1 Polaroid shutter blades reassembly

Best bet? Send it to a pro, unless you have experience working with these.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Make sure you let him know that it is a Copal Press not a Copal.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes of course it's a copal press type.
    I totally agree, that sending it to a pro would be the easiest way. But as a precision mechanic i am very tempted to give it a try first. But sure, i will need some input. How should i gain some experience if i'd pass that thing straightaway to a repair pro. When the guy fixed it i surely won't open it up again. Sometimes it's time to get started.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Be prepared for sticker shock. There are signs in most watch and clock repair shops that read something like:

Repairs: $10
    Repairs, if you watch: $10
    Repairs, if you tried to fix it yourself: $100

I know for me, when someone asks me to work on a clock I smell it for WD-40 first and if so the price doubles (that stuff ruins cleaning solution and make the cleaning process more time-intensive). iWhen someone brought me a bag of parts I offer salvage value only and squirrel it away for an future opportunity when I have absolutely nothing better to do. I would never agree to attempt turning a bag of parts into a functioning unit.

"But as a precision mechanic"

For what? I am not sure, then again i am sure, that I would not want my certified auto mechanic to try to fix my camera (internally) or my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    I would not want my certified auto mechanic to try to fix my camera
    Don't worry about your watch or your car. I'm definitely not interrested in putting my hands on.
    If you're heading towards a general discussion about personal skills, ok...but sorry, that's not my cup of tee.
    I'm only asking for some details about that shutter.
    I am aware that there is a repair manual for that thing available and was confident that someone here could provide some usefull technical information for this shutter. Thought it's the right place here. No?

Cheers!

C'mon, folks. If the OP wants to work on his own shutter that's his business. If people want to advise against it then post that sentiment a helpful tone. There's no need to be negatively critical, accusatory or belittling.

Sorry, grumero, I don't have the data to help but I'm sure someone who does will eventually chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Best bet? Send it to a pro, unless you have experience working with these.
    I'd give you a link to a service manual, if I knew where to find one.

I'd suggest you find some "junk" shutters to practice on, and be sure you have the correct tools and know how to use them.

Good luck.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by grumero View Post
    Hi all.
    I tried to fiddle with my Copal #1 Polaroid self cocking shutter because it stuck and the times are slow.
    It is from the Polaroid MP-3 camera with a nice 127 Tominon lens.
    As a newby I opened the wrong side up first and ... oops, the shutterblades fell out.
    There are 5 shutter positions but 6 shutterblades (?) and also 3 smaller (kind of) washer blades (?).
    Does anyone know what is the propper alignment of the elements for reassembly.
    The shutter is fired with a cable release and stucks after a view shots and the lever does not recock.
    After fiddling a bit it's working again for a view releases than it stucks again.
    Does anyone have a repair manual or some illustrations of the inner parts?
    I definitely would love to get that thing working again.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I did exactly the same thing last year, on the same shutter. Took me a few tries but I got it going. Hmm, trying to recall now... wish I had taken some pictures.

As I recall, you have to put in the small shutter pieces first....maybe between each shutter blade? I think they go against the metal, then the shutter leafs on top. The small pieces are asymmetrical and I remember right has two holes which have to be oriented the right way. As I remember i put those in first, and they gave me the most problems. After that the actual shutter blades mounted pretty easily. I had the same problem with the 6th blade..... I only put in 5 in the end as I recall. Seems to work.

Anyway, that's a pretty lousy instruction, but these are simple mechanisms, if I could get it going I am sure you will. Ain't that many ways it can go together! Pls pm me if you find out where that 6 blade goes!!! I think it might be doubled up on one post, probably at the bottom or top.

I just brought it out to check it, and it still works like charm, seem to work over its speed range. I have a 105 mm lens in it. You need a locking release cable so you can lock it open on B to focus..

It's a neat dirt simple shutter. And, I still have that "spare" shutter blade!!