Thread: Ski Boot Bag as an 8x10 backpack?

Ski Boot Bag as an 8x10 backpack?

First ski trip of the season and like, wow! These ski boots are light---I must have built up some serious muscles over the summer(in between Costco Polish Sausage hotdogs) I looked down and egads! My Technicas have gone to pieces, leaving a trail of black plastic chunks from the locker room to chair #3! "Plastic dosen't last forever" said the the lift operator. At once, I knew that science teacher in high school was a liar---and I knew my day on the slopes was over. Fast foreward to this afternoon--- At the local sporting goods superstore I am ignored by the sales clerks who are competeing among themselves to see who has the best "raccoon eyes" I am totally ignorant of what ski boots to buy and everything is too expensive and made of plastic anyway(I could have probably bought a Linhof Technika for the price they're charging for Technica Boots!) Three thoughts come to mind: 1) I've got better raccoon eyes than any of those pimply salesclerks 2) I'm glad my 8x10 is made out of wood and not plastic and finally 3) Hey, those High Sierra Boot bags look like they could digest an 8x10 'dorff with three holders and enough room left over for a lens, light meter, filter kit and folded dark cloth. There are many models of High Sierra Boot Bags, the one I refer to is black, is a backpack with nicely padded shoulder straps, has a tag with US Ski Team logo on it, costs $70 and looks like its insides could contain an object 14"x14"x8"(my 'dorff & three holders) plus. Before I put this on my credit card (along with the rest of the holidays) I was wondering if anyone out there has gone down this same trail before me and if so, how did it work out for you?-------Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you think it will work: try it. If it works for you: use it. If it works great: tell us about it!

John, while the boot bag may appear to be a shoe-in, so to speak, as a 'Dorff dome, is it really made for carrying weight for distance? Or, just from the lodge to a slippery slope? (Think hip belt and padding here.)

It's probably good that you're thinking new as opposed to used, however. Otherwise your pictures might stink, or develop a strange fungus. ;-)

Unless your boots are an old pair of orange Lange's with duct tape on the toe dam, your not a real skier. If your still planning on carrying that 5x7 skiing, may you only have face plants.

OOOoooooooooh Jim, that's cold, man! FWIW, I still have my 1st pair of ski boots, Koflachs, and they're made out of .....leather!(BTW, they now make for a nice pair of book-ends!) Still have my Head 360s, too!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi John,
    YES I used a ski-boot bag for carrying my 4x5" Sinar for some time. Now I use a big (65x40x15 cm) backpack, which I consider to be a lot better for longer trips, of course.
    I used an L-shaped bag - black, quite ugly and not sight-attracting at all (one more advantage!) - with a big (whole side) opening, a cell-foam mat, 1qm of some fabric I had at home, a sewing machine - and it went out quite well. I reinforced the walls and fitted in one more divider to get space for some holders, loupe, lightmeter etc. The 4x5 combo loads in with both standards compressed together on one side of the rail.
    I'll try to make a picture of it with my nephew's coolpix and send it here.
    Wishing a nice weekend,