Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alphax Shutters on e-bay

Re: Alphax Shutters on e-bay

Hello Dan,

Sorry, I'm visually impaired and didn't catch the little tail on what i thought was an o. I know how anoying it can be when someone gets your name wrong. Its surprising how many different pronuunciations can be made out of my last name!

Thanks for explaining the ins and many outs of o-scope lenses and shutters. Your expanded explanation in a separate post on this forum goes a long way in providing information that I was completely unaware of.

I thank you.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thank you, and you're welcome too.

Graybeard, you and I agree nearly completely about the usefulness of Alphax and Ilex shutters recovered from 'scope cameras. Where we disagree on that is about the usefulness of ones with limited maximum openings. See my comments earlier in this thread.

We also agree -- and I'm delighted by this -- on the usefulness of these shutters for front-mounting lenses.

Where we part company completely is on the wisdom of buying any old oyster, sorry, 'scope camera, in the hope of finding a pearl, sorry, usable shutter. Buying any old 'scope camera will get mainly cameras with unusable, often small, electronic shutters. Been there, done that, don't recommend it.

Yeah... I've seen a few sellers buy barrel-mounted lenses and just screw the cells into dime-a-dozen Polaroid shutters with limited success. Some work perfectly in all adaptations... some work in limited adaptations... others are of little use. Check histories here, on APUG, and other photo sites.