Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to achieve that kind of glowing effect?

How to achieve that kind of glowing effect?

You are the man! That does have a 'defogging' effect and makes color pop. Too bad photoshop doesn't allow 16bit in layer manipulation.

You may also want to try neatimage www.neatimage.com if you have alot of grain from the scanning process. neatimage is free for personal&noncommercial use. Works great on blue skys and other fields of tonal gradation. Sometimes it will wipe out textures, though.

Aaron,

Photoshop CS doea allow 16 bit layer manipulations.

You might find this shot familiar:

http://www.fatali.com/giftstore/posters/pos_beyond.html

Thanks!

Steve

http://www.fatali.com/giftstore/posters/pos_beyond.html

BTW, any idea where this strange rock formation is located? I've seen the print in the Fatali's gallery two years ago and since then I've been trying to find that place everytime I was in the SouthWest (I live in Italy) but never succeeded... Ciao Marco

Marco,

I think I have a book at home that tells where it is located and the details. I'll post in about 10-12 hours if I can find it. It is in Utah.

It's also the cover shot for this book, which contains the above info.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/2880465761/qid=1072186985/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1523637-8568636?v=glance&s=books

Thanks!

Steve

Wow, thank you Steve!!!! I'll check the forum for your post...in the meantime I found this post ( http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006aSz ), some ideas but not very useful... Ciao

Marco

Ron Flickinger's information page says the the photos are mostly taken on 4x5 Velvia 100F and Provia 100F and output on Fuji Crystal Archive paper using a LightJet printer. The use of a LightJet means, of course, that the photos have passed through a digital stage. The most obvious feature of the photos is their high color saturation (intense hues), which is probably the "glow" of the question. As others have said, the high color saturation probably owes much to digital operations. Some of the saturation is due to the light at the scence, the film, and the paper. Some of the skys have very vivid blues even in comparison to the satuation of the other colors, suggesting the use of a polarzing filter.

Color satuation exceeding reality isn't to my taste. It seems that most photographers and the public like it, although Steve mentioned a similar opinion. I wonder whether Ron thinks his photos show the color that was there, or would he agree that he has increased the color saturation? With pre-digital technology, knowning the film etc. used, a knowledgable viewer could estimate the color transformations that had taken place. Today, digital methods give much more control over the rendition of color and contrast.

I agree with Michael about color saturation. Highly saturated photos can impress, but they don't look at all real to me. One of the reasons I use color negative film instead of color reversal film is that it generally yields lower saturation, and I can of course increase the saturation digitally if desired.

Marco,

The book doesn't have the location. Usually Fatali's site does give details for pictures in the galleries, but apparently not the "posters" section. I would e-mail Flickinger or Fatali. If you find out, let me know. I'll take a guess of Grand Staircase Escalante National monument.

Thanks!

Steve

If he photographed his hard drive with an old Kodak disc camera and labelled it "fine art", I think I'd be more impressed...