Thread: 11x14 contact print frames

11x14 contact print frames

The paper I'm using for salt printing is 11"x15" from Bostick & Sullivan. Both B&S and Freestyle sell 11x14" contact printing frames which will accept that paper without trimming, and are about the same price. Does anyone have any preferences which will help me choose between these frames? Thanks!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I have the B & S print frame and I am very happy with it. Solidly built and works like a charm. I bought after reading some negative reviews about the one sold by Photographer's Formulary.

Re: 11x14 contact print frames

I can't comment on the frames built by either company, but I will throw another make out there. I just bought some frames by Doug Kennedy (his standard frames are 1" oversize...but he can custom make sizes if you would like). They are very well crafted (built like a brick sh!thouse). The prices are very reasonable (a 11x14 was in the $140ish range). I would buy from him again in a heartbeat.

X2 about the frames Doug Kennedy makes. The whole experience was a positive. Great frame, good turn around time and very well packaged for shipping.

I bought the one from Bostick & Sullivan: it's a brute, very solidly built. Should a badger attack while I'm printing, I'll be fine.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I bought the one from Bostick & Sullivan: it's a brute, very solidly built. Should a badger attack while I'm printing, I'll be fine.

Mike
    Ditto, except for a rapid fox instead...No badgers here. Badgers, to god-damned hell with badgers! We have no badgers. In fact, we don't need badgers. I don't have to show you any stinking badgers...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Another vote for B&S. I have their 8x10 and 11x14 frames and I can highly recommended both: the smaller for contract printing 8x10 on silver geletin paper and the larger for alternative printing on sheets with a border cut from 22x30 paper with minimal waste. Nice people to deal with too and willing to answer your questions about a process. In fact on my last order they shipped about $30-40 of excess chemistry. When I called to report it they said to keep it.

Thomas