Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need for 180~210mm MC lens for close-up work

O.K.

Need for 180~210mm MC lens for close-up work

OK. I need a multicoated lens with a focal length around 180-210mm for close up work. I see that almost all of the lenses that i have tested get perfectly sharp at apertures like f16~22. So sharpness is not the issue. The two issues those still remain are

1) Standard taking lenses are prone to chromatic abberation at close up distances. So I need a lens designed for Magnification Ratios like 1:2
    2) Single coated lenses produce noticibly lower contrast compared to MC ones (this is a big group of lenses including almost all process lenses such as G Clarons, Konica Hexanon GR-II, Graphic Kowa etc etc)

OK I can not rise a $750 for a second hand Macro Sironar, Nikkor AM ED or Macro Symmar right now. Fujinon A 180 seems to be a choice here. Any other ideas?
    The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. Albert Einstein

Re: Need for 180~210mm MC lens for close-up work

the Fujinon A sounds a good bet, but if this is studio work I am surprised that the G Claron does not meet your needs.

O.K.

G Clarons are low in contrast . I have tested both 150 and 210.

Since i shoot with a scanback i don't need a shutter at all. A barrel lens provided it's MC should do my job just as perfect. How about this 210mm JML process lens. Are they MC?

What about an enlarger lens? With all the people leaving darkroom, they should be reasonably affordable.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

O.K.

yes you are right. enlarger lenses are an option however yet most enlarger lenses are either not coated or single coated. rodagon d for instance is perfect for this job. but the longest one is 120mm and it is not coated afaik. the el nikkor 210 on the other hand seems like a fit but i am not sure for what m ratio it is optimized and how much coverage would it give.

What about a multicoated APO ronar? I don't have experience with them but maybe someone else can comment; however, if you are shooting digital, is it not an option to tweak contrast digitally?

What is your task/objective?

O.K.

I know the 150mm APO Ronar but is there any between 180-210. I have a 120 Macro Symmar that i can utilize for certain objects but for some larger ones i need something longer. Ideally 180.

I run a company in which we sell TV Broadcast / Movie gear. Nowadays there is a huge demand for PL Mount Cinematographic primes and zooms. Delivery times went up to 6+ months shortest. Some special ones even longer than a year. So I have started working with the Russians. They make real great lenses but haven't got the marketting at all. So I have to shoot the PL Mount Cinematographic lenses those i import from Russia regularly. The first one will be a 300mm T3 prime. 35cm in length and 6.3kg haha..!

redu, why are you hung up on multi-coating?

O.K.

Dan Hi, It is best noticed on the histogram. When i shoot with a MC lens such as a Macro Symmar the whole available dynamic range of the scanback (even beyond it's capacity) is used. At correct exposure the whole histogram axis is full of information. However when i shoot i.e. with a G Claron for instance, regardless how good i expose, the information is more concentrated in the mid values and almost nothing shows at the far ends of the histogram (extreme blacks and whites) This i can of course correct at photoshop but thats just rearranging of the available limited data.

180mm Apo Macro Sironar is a current lens. The 210mm Makro Sironar is a discontinued lens. Both do exactley what you want to do. Especially if you will be shooting 3 dimensional objects vs flat art. For flat art an Apo Ronar would be best.