Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Schilliger website

Paul Schilliger website

I got curious and checked out Paul's website. I have to admit it is one of the best portfolios of large format color nature photography I've ever seen, and I don't usually like that sort of imagery. (QT's is excellent too...) I especially enjoyed his 6x12 images of winter scenes. Congratulations, very well done - http://www.paulschilliger.com

Paul Schilliger website

Beautiful images!

But I read a disturbing sentence by him: "I have personally stopped offering prints for sale due to the low demand and to the investment both in time and in equipment that was necessary."

Geez if he can't sell prints...who is?
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Paul Schilliger website

Yes, they are truly fabulous. I go to the site on occasion to get a little inspiration.

Selling prints is 3 parts marketing, 1 part image. Well, it may be worse then that. Just to visit some local galleries and see the stuff that is being sold; some are good, but an awful lot is barely mediocre (from a fine art point of view). But someone has made a good marketing/sales pitch and they prints are selling.

So what Mr. Shilliger needs is a business partner.

Paul Schilliger website

Beautiful stuff! Also reminds me why I should stick to B&W!

Paul Schilliger website

Thanks for the kind words!

Johnny, be reassured, I never made any effort and I am rather holding back. But I might eventually purchase one of those large Ultrachrome printers and get into the job. Anyone interested yet??? ;-)

David, what do you mean by that ??? Yeah I agree, B&W is beautiful.

Paul Schilliger website

Lovely photos, I agree. A pity that you can't find (or build) a market.

I don't want to speak for Mr. Munson, but I had something of the same reaction to your comments. Your description of custom contact masks, etc. put me in mind of my simple B&W darkroom containing inexpensive equipment (and not much of that.) It sounds like a lot less fuss and expense.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Paul Schilliger website

I always thought that Paul's images belong in art museums and in between the pages of beautiful books of photographs. Switzerland must be proud to count among its sons a talented artist such as Paul and should be proud to show the world its beauty through Paul's eyes. I have space reserved for that book in my shelves, it would sit next to Elliot Porter's. What are they wating for!

Paul Schilliger website

What I meant is that there are certain people that are able to use color in a way that I've never been able to approach. Your work is a good example of that. Color just doesn't fit the way I see the way it fit's the way you see, Paul. B&W is my bag, and seeing such beautiful color work serves to remind me of that.

Paul Schilliger website

David, I took no offense and was just kidding you. Now I understand what you meant. I started LF with B&W which I loved more than color, but I was unable to see with the abstraction of color and I felt very disappointed and frustrated... until I switched to color.

Julio, my faithful and supportive friend! Elliot might turn in his grave to see who is this newcomer who dares standing along him!

Paul Schilliger website

Paul,

Excellent work. You can see. The comparison to Porter isn't as far off the mark as you think.

Your site says you use mostly Velvia - a slide film. In that case, why not send your film out for scanning and printing? This would keep you out of the expensive equipment business and yet let you sell some of your beautiful images. This is easier to do with transparencies because the printer has the trany to compare to. There are a number of companies in the USA that do this for photographers, so I'm sure there are a number in Europe as well.

Just a suggestion. If you change your mind about selling in the future, please let us know! And please keep shooting.

Bruce Watson