Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash recommendations please

Flash recommendations please

I had a burglary three weeks ago but noticed only yesterday that my flash unit was also taken. I very seldom use flash, but I'd like to find a replacement which has the one important feature that this one had... an old Panasonic unit which had a removable sensor unit that could be attached to the hot shoe, and connection to the flash was via a cable, allowing off-camera flash positioning, with on-camera control. The sensor could also be left on the flash, and the whole unit either attached to the hot shoe or connected via a synch cord. This was not a TTL flash - purely manual, which I prefer.

Internet searching shows a huge range of units currently available, but nothing like this. Phone calling local distributors also hasn't been much help. There are a few manual flash units available, but none that have the feature of on-camera control - except the Metz 70 series costing around $1000, or some ring flash units, which are not powerful enough for general use, and which the insurance company will surely not allow anyway.

Anyone know of a currently available flash unit similar to what I've described? Thanks!!!

Octogenarian

Re: Flash recommendations please

B&H lists the Vivitar 285 HV flash. Reasonably priced. Meets your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    B&H lists the Vivitar 285 HV flash. Reasonably priced. Meets your description.
    I don't remember the details, but some flash units can damage your shutters. if fired directly through a cable. There is an intermediate device to use to protect the shutter. I have one which I've used with my Vivitar 285, but I would have to search through my gear to tell you what it is. I'm sure you can find references to such devices using google. Or perhaps someone else will give a reference.

Thanks, Gem and Leonard. Apparently this model is junk, since the venerable Vivitar brand name was bought out, according to http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/2007...f-classic.html and other internet comments. Unfortunate, since this would have been a good replacement.

Octogenarian

Barry,

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

That article you linked to was written by a person who has a product that competes with the Vivitar flash (LomoPro).

The new Vivitar 285-HV is a great flash unit for the price. It is safe to use with any type of sync shutter.

Mine works like a charm

Older flashes can damage digital SLRs, but I don't think any flash can harm a LF lens.

Ahh, I see... Thanks Gem, it pays to have a bit of background knowledge! As my old Panasonic flash was probably in that price range, the Vivitar is probably a good replacement.

Many thanks for your help.

Barry.

Barry,

That article you linked to was written by a person who has a product that competes with the Vivitar flash (LomoPro).

The new Vivitar 285-HV is a great flash unit for the price. It is safe to use with any type of sync shutter.

Mine works like a charm

Barry,

Mine works like a charm
    Just to 2nd the thought...I have 3 of them. Very nice, very basic units. They are all the new "crap" units

One thing to consider is that the base of the 285HV is a bit weak. I modded mine with the heavy duty metal foot
    david

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    I don't remember the details, but some flash units can damage your shutters. if fired directly through a cable. There is an intermediate device to use to protect the shutter. I have one which I've used with my Vivitar 285, but I would have to search through my gear to tell you what it is. I'm sure you can find references to such devices using google. Or perhaps someone else will give a reference.
    It's not the shutter per se. Flashes that have a high trigger voltage can fry cameras that rely on electronics rather than being purely mechanical. You can get a Wein "Safe Sync" adapter - they come in a variety of shoe and plug configurations - that will shield the camera and enable safe use of the flash. I have one that I use when I want to trigger my studio flash with a digital camera. It's a non-issue with the mechanical shutters in view camera lenses.

Thanks all for input. Can I confirm with those of you who have this unit that the Vivitar 285 HV actually has a removable sensor that can be mounted on camera? B&H claims that it does, but no other online site that I can find, including Vivitar's, confirms this. If it does, I would expect a special cable, not just an ordinary sync cable, to be available, but no such cable is listed as an accessory for this model. Thanks,

Barry.