Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Re: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Rick "exceeding his obnoxiousness quotient for the day" Denney
    Did you mean quota?

Drew Wiley

If you serious gravitate to long lenses, I'd recommend a Sinar field camera, either an F2
    or the older Norma series. Components are easy to acquire, and you can quickly reconfigure the camera by adding or removing rail sections for just about any application.
    This kind of monorail is also very easy to balance on a tripod, so works with a lighter tripod
    than many view camera. The special rail clamp makes a typcial tripod head completely
    unnecessay. But there really is no single "best" camera. When seriously reduced weight is
    the priority I switch to an Ebony folder. But all these options seem light compared to my
    usual 8x10 kit.

Instead of trying to find the "perfect" camera have you considered buying two cameras? A lightweight monorail like a Sinar F2 and a field camera could cover everything that you need.

lazy retired bum

No one has mentioned my favorite, the Arca Field, smooth, slick, reeks quality, can't be sure about the 600. I've had mine for 6 years and sadly do not use it anymore, blame digital, but it was my dream camera, and after I got it and used it, it remained my dream camera.

Les

John Kasain wrote It should a smile on your face each time you set up.

Yes, this is the idea....and without having to barrow a burro. Incidentally, John, what have you done with that mule ? So far I see Ebony SU45Ti as the best contender, since it's just little over 5lbs and it can handle 35-800mm glass. It's highly unlikely that I'll ever reach the very ends of the optics spectrum, but it's capabilities alone + robustness kind of gives me a fuzzy feeling.

I've looked up the 'dorff specs, and much like Linhof, they tend to tip the scale (requiring a diet). Linhof has always been about quality (even as I recall in the 60's)....and I respect that, though I'd need to win that lotto...if you get my drift.

Basically, I'm looking for a camera that would be a joy to operate...and even in my over-the-hill age, I could pick it up and still be able to hike over that hill. So it's all about balance in my view.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Les

Yeah, John is a smart guy!

I would echo the Chamonix suggestions. I have had a Wista DXII, an Arca F-Line Classic, Toho, used a Linhof Technikardan 45 and tried a Canham DLC45 and my favorite of the bunch is the Chamonix. I can use a 58mm to a 450mm (the latter with the extension board). It is lightweight and very rigid and I find it quick and easy to use. And I consider it a steal at its price.

As with relationships, there is no such thing as perfect and everyone has a slightly different take on what is perfect. For me, the Chamonix is as close as I have found.

[QUOTE=Leszek Vogt;859546]John Kasain wrote It should a smile on your face each time you set up.

Yes, this is the idea....and without having to barrow a burro. Incidentally, John, what have you done with that mule ? So far I see Ebony SU45Ti as the best contender, since it's just little over 5lbs and it can handle 35-800mm glass. It's highly unlikely that I'll ever reach the very ends of the optics spectrum, but it's capabilities alone + robustness kind of gives me a fuzzy feeling. Les[QUOTE]

Big cameras tend to collect dust quickly if they aren't used. Shooting a good ratio of "keepers" will make most of us want to get out and make more pictures.The more you use your camera the more proficient one tends to become. The more proficient you are, the more "keepers" you'll bring home. The challenges or advantages of one camera over another become mnor issues so long as you enjoy taking the thing out and shooting it to your hearts content. Few things are as discouraging as a camera that makes you unhappy when you use it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Here's another vote for the Chamonix. I have used an Omega View 45E (Toyo) and a Tachihara. The omega is a monorail; large and heavy. The Tachihara is light weight, but limited in movements, and it will take a maximum of a 300mm. Actually, it was Harley and Lon Overacker who won me over with regard to the Chamonix, and I definitely smile when I use it. It's worth every penney, in my opinion.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have two candidates, unfortunately neither is currently made and one is very hard to find:

Carbon Infinity, and Gandolfi Variant.

Both can take lenses from 47mm to 500mm, with movements. With telephoto lenses the extension isn't a limitation, I'm talking of a 500mm normal lens.

Maybe they can take shorter lenses than 47mm too - but that's the shortest lens I own.