Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Adhesive holders

Re: Adhesive holders

Thanks Drew, sounds like good advice. I will try it. It's the standard 928 ATG 1/2" tape, so it does have a nonstick backing on one side (on the permanent adhesive side, as I recall). So I probably just pressed it down with light finger tip pressure.
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 28-Nov-2018 at 07:05.

Drew Wiley

You need to make sure the bonding surface is completely clean and oil-free with a suitable solvent like alcohol. And the ATG tape, once it is firmly in place and flat, with no bubbles, needs to be aggressively pressured down with either a small roller brayer or slick Bondo knife. Do this in a comfortable room (not a cold or damp one). Then allow the adhesive to set up at least a day before putting film in there (it takes these 3M acrylic adhesives about 24 hrs to gain full bonding strength).

Many thanks for the additional tips!

Thanks for that, Drew.

Michael, your setup looks almost identical to mine except I think mine has less of a mottled like appearance (probably because I pressed the tape in quite hard by running my fingers over it several times.)

I've currently got a sheet of HP5+ loaded in it to run a test next week. I was hesitant to do it, but with fresh cleaned hands I did press the film in slightly within the holder to try help it bond with the glue. With the kind of work I'm doing I need to rely on it 100%, so will do a few tests before trusting it in the field and report back.

T

Tim, thanks. I loaded two holders with FP4 today to test on a trip over the next two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I was able to get the bubbles out by covering them with the waxed tape backing and rubbing it with a fingernail.

Years ago someone gave me a 4x5 press camera and holders.

I cut some electrical tape with the lights on, 35mm film with lights off, and taped it into the 4x5 holders. I think I did enough for 4 exposures. From maybe a half roll of film.

It was enough to prove to me the “ancient” camera worked. The residue from the electrical tape was awful. Don’t do this!

I’d never since considered putting tape in a film holder. Shooting downhill with an 8x10 it could be a solution to film flatness. Those Sinai folks sure were clever.

The good thing about the ATG tape is that it stays in the holder and can be reused, therefore no mess (unless you happen to drop it on the carpet!) I'm crossing my fingers that I find it as reliable as Drew does.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Years ago someone gave me a 4x5 press camera and holders.

I cut some electrical tape with the lights on, 35mm film with lights off, and taped it into the 4x5 holders. I think I did enough for 4 exposures. From maybe a half roll of film.

It was enough to prove to me the “ancient” camera worked. The residue from the electrical tape was awful. Don’t do this!

I’d never since considered putting tape in a film holder. Shooting downhill with an 8x10 it could be a solution to film flatness. Those Sinai folks sure were clever.