Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a Shen-Hao 8x10?

Lachlan 717

Re: Anyone using a Shen-Hao 8x10?

You can contact Shen Hao directly; especially good if you want something bespoke.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Jess C - Congrats on your new purchase! Badger is the North America vendor of choice, as I understand it, for these cameras. I did call them about 3 months ago asking about this very camera, as it showed as a special order on their site. I was told it was about a 4-6 week wait, which doesn't seem too bad considering. Is this similar to your experience? Were you given a lead time for delivery of the camera?

Also, I know this really depends on the type of photography you do, but what lenses do you plan to use with the Shen Hao? I have a Fujinon CM-W250 that should just cover 8x10, but will probably opt for something just a little longer when I finally get around to getting one myself. Maybe something a little wider too, as I mostly do environmental "architecture" photography. (Read: old buildings and stuff!).

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who will be eagerly anticipating some comments and remarks regarding this fine camera once you've taken delivery. Thanks for chiming in!

Cletus

Cletus, I just received an email from Badger with my order confirmation and a tracking # which surprised me. When I spoke with Jeff on Monday he indicated he had none in stock and it would be about 3 weeks for delivery and yet the tracking # indicates the package has been processed At Greenbay's USPS facility. Unless I misunderstood him I'm not sure how this came about. I was left with the impression that he orders them from Shen Hao as orders come into him. Maybe I lucked out and he received a shipment about the same time I spoke with Jeff.

As for a lens I have a Fuji W 300mm coming my way. At some point I would like to try something a little wider but I think the 300 will do nicely for now. Now all I need is a tripod and since I haven't purchased a new tripod in 25 years I think it's time I do since my old reliable current Bogen won't quite cut the mustard for the 810. And so I'm thinking about an Induro carbon fiber tripod with a G-1570m Gitzo pan head.

Jess C - Very nice! Nothing better than a "much earlier than expected" surprise with something like this! If you're like me, you'll be wearing out the UPS or whatever website tracking this thing every 6 hours to make sure it's still on time. :-)

When I got my first 4x5 I had the same dilemma about my (actually quite able) Bogen and bought a Gitzo Series 3 tripod and the big RRS head because I "really needed it for the bigger camera". It was a bit of a cash outlay, but I figured it would be a fairly future proof investment and hopefully the last tripod/head I ever buy (yeah right). Of course unless 8x10 turns out not to be enough for me and I move up to 16x20 or something - a guy can dream can't he?

I looked pretty darn hard at Feisol too, before getting the Gitzo and very nearly got one of those instead. It would have saved about $500 between the legs and head - alas, I chickened out at the moment of truth and got the Gitzo instead. I am entirely happy with it, but I'm sure I would have been quite content with the Feisol. I have since even considered getting one for a "backup". I've had one of the Feisol ballheads before and it served me very well until it was stolen!

So I'm sure that's enough tripod rubbish, I am actually quite excited for you (read jealous!) regarding your new Shen Hao 810 and I hope you'll add to this thread as you become more acquainted with your new camera!

Best Regards...Cletus

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post
    Sometime ago I saw ina video, Clyde Butcher telling people to buy a Deardorrf, if they wanted a really good LF camera.

Here he is shooting with a Shen Hao TFC 810...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xarIyRnrAl8

"When the Sun comes up it lights the Moon?"
    Say What?
    :-)

Sometime ago I saw ina video, Clyde Butcher telling people to buy a Deardorrf, if they wanted a really good LF camera.

What I did, have 7 of them! L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post

What I did, have 7 of them! L
    Luis,

Just to be clear, "a Deardorff" is singular...

However, as a V8 owner I can understand the enthusiasm, just never been able to justify more.

Best wishes,

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Luis,

Just to be clear, "a Deardorff" is singular...

However, as a V8 owner I can understand the enthusiasm, just never been able to justify more.

Best wishes,

Len
    One V11, 3 V8s and 2 V5s!!! Also have a V8 that is being restored that I will probably sell if it ever comes back!

If one is good two must be better

"Aw...gee - I coulda had a V8!" (remember those ads?)