Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting pix.

Les

Posting pix.

Hi,

Not sure if this is purposefully hidden but there is no real instructions or dedicated space in FAQ to explain this process of
    posting photos. Or am I sliding by it and not seeing it ? I'm not asking to be in bold and large type. Anyway, I'm not clear
    how to perform this. Or is that just not important enough on this forum.

(signed confused) Les

PS I get this feeling that this horse has been whacked to a pulp....

Re: Posting pix.

At the bottom of the page there is a link to [IMG] code is On.
    Click on the highlighted [IMG] for instructions on how to post an image.

Les

Thanks for answering my Q. I'm still, however, lost on the concept why is this not explained in FAQ ?

Les

It is not at all clear what the actual procedure is for posting images. I clicked on the highlighted [IMG], but still do not understand. How about a quick tutorial for the slower members, like me.

Are you trying to post an image that is hosted on a server or not hosted?

I suggested a sticky a while back. Seems like there are many people with the same problem.

Don't feel bad. I'd go as far as to say that this is a recurring issue for all/any internet forums. The problem appears to me to be that many who begin posting in forum don't have much experience in computers, while those who set them up originally assume that their users will be as computer/internet savvy as themselves (for the record, in the past, that may have been the case).

Click on the image icon above the large text entry box, the one where the hovering text shows "insert image".

Then either:

1) From Computer: Uploads image to the forums server (AFAIK). Follow the steps to finding your compressed images on your computer's hard drive.

or:

2) From URL: Forum software accesses your image from an offsite server, most commonly your own website host's server. You need to provide a complete Uniform Resource Locator (URL), a "path" to your image. The URL must be exact. You can obtain URL's most easily by copying the internet address line at the top of a window, or from your file transfer software (needed if you set up your own website). It looks like this:

HTML Code:
    http://rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/Eastern-Sierra/Sunset%2C%20Sierra%20Crest.jpg
    where:
    • rangeoflightphotography.com = my website domain name
    • /albums/Eastern-Sierra = the folders where the image can be found
    • Sunset%2C%20Sierra%20Crest.jpg = the image itself

or may be entered directly by html command line in some forum software:

resulting in this:

The second method is preferred as it doesn't use the forum host's server space, isn't limited, and allows you to retain control over your images.

Sharing from flickr accounts requires allowing access via license establishment and then getting the embed HTML code from flickr (I can't give an example because my spartan flickr account is all rights reserved).

In both cases it is best to keep images small, probably jpeg, at 72DPI and not much more than 100KB, to ease host space and transfer times (download speeds) to the forum user. IMO, posting forum images that are so large that they take more than a fraction of a second to load at normal DSL speeds, or that are larger than the average viewer's computer screen (say >800 pixels), forcing horizontal window scrolling to view the entire image, is just plain rude. Use your image processing software, like Photoshop, or google on–line image compression.

The Link icon (world) and Insert Video (filmstrip), located in the same icon bar, work pretty much the same way, not only in forum software but also in website creation software such as Wordpress and other CMS (Content Management System) software. Here's an example from my YouTube Channel, another server:

Click Insert Video and enter the path:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqubLBOcL4&context=C3d110e4ADOEgsToPDskLXoHRNywFxjtigOB6lkI1Q

resulting in this:

I am a big proponent of adding links and referential images to posts, when appropriate, especially in assisting to differentiate experienced advice from unsubstantiated opinion. IMO adding illustration and links is what livens up and prevents internet forums from being dull white paper and text, putting the "inter" in the "net".

Hope I'm not rubbing your nose in it...
    Last edited by ROL; 5-Mar-2012 at 19:54. Reason: Clarification and embellishment

Re: Posting a Flickr Posted Picture

1. Instruction for posting a Flickr image:

Paste the code in a text program for further editing (see below) or use the "Go Advanced," button (under and right of Quick Reply).

2. What the code looks like:

3. Code you need starts and ends with the [img] tags [/img] :

4. Result:

Note: If you place all the code as in #2, it will display your image + a Flickr advertising bug and link.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Another way to post a photo from flicker to this board is to:

1. Click on the photo on flicker that you want to post.
    2. Select "Actions" on flicker for tat photo.
    3. Choose the image size that you want to post.
    4. Then with the mouse pointer inside the image right click and cloose properties from the drop down.
    5. Copy the URL for that image.
    6. On the LF post click on "Insert Image"
    7. Remove the check mark from the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
    8. Click on "From Computer"
    9. Click back on "From URL"
    10. Paste the address that you copied in 5 above.
    This is an example of the results of all that clicking back and forth:

Thomas

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

ok so what about if the image does not come from flicker or photobucket. i just had a nude cancelled because it was nude... that then rips it out of the forum.

so whats needed are insrtuctions on how to load up to the forum from your computer hard drive.

i have troubles as i am not sure how big the image is supposed to be, and then the image never uploads.

or it is too small and is only a thumb nail of a thumb nail.
    through a glass darkly...