Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I attach a dark cloth to a camera?

How do I attach a dark cloth to a camera?

I've used velcro to attach a dark cloth to my cameras, but are there any better ways to attach a dark cloth?

I have a speed graphic and a busch pressman. I cant stand the focussing hoods they come with. They let in too much light, and they dont allow me to use a loupe. I made my own dark cloth and I used velcro to attach the cloth. I am curious though how photographers used to attach them before velcro. I've never seen any tabs on old woodies (or new ones) nor have I seen dark cloths advertized to fit only certain make cameras.

So how do YOU attach a dark cloth, and how did earlier photographers do it?

Wooden (plastic) clothes pins work nicely on those two particular cameras.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I just made a dark cloth for my Crown Graphic, and used elastic. I had a (roughly) 1-yard square piece of black fabric (1/2 of a 60" wide x 1 yard my wife bought on sale for $2) which I stitched a hem into on all sides; one side I made the hem twice as wide, and ran 1/2" elastic, which I had measured around the body of the Crown (after removing the viewfinder attachment on top), through the wide hem. After stitching the elastic to itself, I also joined the cloth together just at that end to make it into a continuous wrap around the camera; this way, it won't ride up the sides and let light in. It fits perfectly, and gives me plenty of room underneath. I hope this helps.

I think the clothes-pins are a great low-tech solution. -Allthough I would use binder-clips instead. (But then I use binder clips for everything... clamping wood together for gluing, keeping chips fresh, hanging strips of film for drying, developing sheet film, etc)

I think the elastic is a great all-round solution, but not everyone is that handy with sewing.

FYI, I made my dark cloth with black 'posh polyester lining' that I got at the fabric store $2.99 a yard. -it was the darkest light-weight fabric i could find there. I bet everyone was looking at me funny when i kept putting fabrics over my face. I hemmed the fabric using 'stitch witchery' (a strip of iron-on adhesive) The velcro stuck well on the camera, but it keeps coming off the fabric, so I will have to use super-glue or hot glue or something.

I also have a couple of velcro tabs that i use to close off the bottom and really darken things up. I can undo one or two tabs so I can put my hand in and use a loupe.

I was thinking of using magnets, but both the bush pressman and the speed crown graphic back are made with aluminum, so the magnets wont stick.

Anyway, it sure beats my previous dark-cloth. (an old black metallica T-shirt, the neckband streched around the body of the camera, I could stick a hand through the sleeve to use a loupe.)

The binder clips were the best idea I could find also. I tried velcro. It didn't stick and was never in the right place at the right time... Clothes pins just seem too big... And when the clips aren't being used, I just clip them to the edge of the cloth and fold it up. Always carry a dozen or so with me, clipped to just about everything ;-)

I sewed up a dark cloth with some so-called 2-way Velcro, or some such claim; the one tape has both the hooks and loops, so the same tape will hook to itself. Sort of. It works but doesn't hold very well, so I carry a couple of old fashioned wooden clothespins to augment the stuff when needed.

I don't know when (if) this will rise to the level of a personal priority, but I believe if I ever make another dark rag, I will use elastic or a drawstring to attach to the camera...

Jean-Louis Llech

It might be possible to glue some velcro straps on the back of the camera.

Better to use a removable velcro strap. As the adherence weakens with time and use, you must think to change them regularly.

Using press-studs fixed on both the camera and the darkcloth might be a great solution.

I stretch the neck of a black T-shirt over the back of the camera. No hardware needed.

I got lazy and bought a BZTS darkcloth, which I like very much. It uses elastic, which I like much more than the velcro I was using before. I love binderclips, but it seems as if binderclips could mar the camera finish. Do those of you using them only clip them to the cloth?

Pneumatic powered nail gun? (wooden camera only of course)....

Oh, alright... Two bulldog clips: one to hold the cloth on the camera, t'other to keep the bottom ends together to block light from below (a tip I probably got from this forum). I keep meaning to make my own. It will have a pull-cord with locking toggle as used to close stuff sacks etc and a deeply overlapping seam along the bottom edge, open near the camera end to allow access for the loupe.

Cheers,