Thread: Mole Richardson 8181 scoop?

Mole Richardson 8181 scoop?

Anyone ever use one of these? I am curious about how useful one would be for portraiture.

Re: Mole Richardson 8181 scoop?

I haven't, but I have a 2000w Ianebeam Blond, a 2000w movie light. This type of lighting is very hard on the sitter. Unless it's diffused, it's like looking into direct sun. It also pulls a ton of current from the electrical line, and so that had better be up to hit. You need to have a metal screen in front in case the bulb shatters, sending out near molten glass projectiles.

On the plus side, if you're doing nudes, it'll keep the model warm.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've seen/used just about every mole hot light out there but never seen/used this one. If someone is giving it to you or you're getting a steal on it, then yes. I wouldn't buy it new. The fixture peter speaks of isn't made to be used directly (w/o diffusion) (no lens, clear globe, not frosted) but they are very efficient for the wattage and you can install chimera$ on them with the proper ring. Actors stand in front of them (and much larger fixtures) all day on set, they won't melt There are imported clones of them on ebay for a couple hundred bucks.
    If you're looking for something soft but directional you can get mole 2k zip lights. They're just not as versatile as fresnels or open faced blondes/redheads since you don't get the throw and have no option of hard light with it.

The price is real low. I love anything Mole and these look like they could work well since they are the better focus model version and they come with the diffusion attachment. I mean out of the box, everything combined, were talking over 700.00. The starting bid is like 75.00 with a buy it now of 99.00. And the guy says he has ten of them. I am trying to find out if the light will take a 500 or 1000 watt bulb instead of 2000 watt. The Mole Richardson tech sheet doesn't say. Also, I am thinking that a dimmer of some sort would make the light more useful. I think the bulbs for this thing are pricey. While searching I came across some sites selling bulbs(2000 watt) and the prices were high.

If it's like the 8181 I looked up, it uses a mogul screw base. You can get mogul to medium base adapters very cheap (filmtools.com) and use anything that has a household bulb type socket. 1000w mogul base tubular globes are quite common but not the most efficient globe in this type of deep fixture. I haven't seen a 2000w mogul base globe before, usually they are 2-pin sockets for a CYX or in the case of the 2k blonde mentioned earlier, double ended globes. For dimming you'll need a 2kw Variac but sit down when you look up the price If you have any more ?'s feel free to pm me, I've got a head full of worthless knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    If it's like the 8181 I looked up, it uses a mogul screw base. You can get mogul to medium base adapters very cheap (filmtools.com) and use anything that has a household bulb type socket. 1000w mogul base tubular globes are quite common but not the most efficient globe in this type of deep fixture. I haven't seen a 2000w mogul base globe before, usually they are 2-pin sockets for a CYX or in the case of the 2k blonde mentioned earlier, double ended globes. For dimming you'll need a 2kw Variac but sit down when you look up the price If you have any more ?'s feel free to pm me, I've got a head full of worthless knowledge.
    Thanks Vinny, I'm waiting to hear from the seller. I'm trying to get a few even cheaper.

You can get 1000w dimmers fairly cheaply. I've not seen 2000w ones, but I'm sure they're available, but not from your local hardware store. Dimming will change color temperature.
    On a professional set, the overall light level is very high, which keeps people's pupils very small, and the actors are used to the light levels. With a home studio and non-professional models, that's often not the case.
    Each 2000 watt unit should have it's own 20 amp electrical line.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get these, but you will need to use xtra care, both with your models and concerning electrical and fire hazards. Always have a fire extinguisher handy when working with these types of lights. Sand bag the stands and tape the cords to the floor.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

cinelease sells 2000w "hand squeezers" for about $75 if i recall correctly but we rarely put 2000w on them for a couple reasons:
    1. they are rated for 2000w but you're maxing it out and these things burn out
    2. the filmament buzzes
    #2 isn't a concern of yours since you aren't recording sound.
    so while you can get the parts or whole units that'll handle 2k, I don't recommend it.

I'm with Vinny. I expect that you'll be able to run 1000 watt bulbs. I like MR lighting fixtures, but I've only used their fresnels.

Yeah, I have a 3081 baby that I picked up at Lens and Repro in NYC a few years ago with the stand and I love it. I stopped in to check out what they had in the lens case and ended up carrying out the 3081 with stand down 18th street. I'd ultimately like to set up my home studio with Moles. So , I have been searching. The quality of Mole Richardson stuff is top notch with great service and parts availability.