Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Agfa Ansco 5x7

Re: Agfa Ansco 5x7

FWIW I was able to take a sliding back apart---it's a normal 5x7 back attached to the larger--- and fit it to the camera. It wasn't difficult and, IIRC, the operation would be reversible if need be.
    Take the sliding back off and study it, you'll see where the 5x7 back attaches.
    All it took was a screw driver or two---this was on a gray Agfa 5x7 ---to dismount it from the part it slides on. You may need some brass "L"s for the outside corners where it clips onto the camera body but I was able to scavenge them from the old back, I think. This was several years ago
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    FWIW I was able to take a sliding back apart---it's a normal 5x7 back attached to the larger--- and fit it to the camera. It wasn't difficult and, IIRC, the operation would be reversible if need be.
    Take the sliding back off and study it, you'll see where the 5x7 back attaches.
    All it took was a screw driver or two---this was on a gray Agfa 5x7 ---to dismount it from the part it slides on. You may need some brass "L"s for the outside corners where it clips onto the camera body but I was able to scavenge them from the old back, I think. This was several years ago
    Thanks. I will study it.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Too late, someone already bought it. I hope he or she enjoys it. . It may have happened because of the publicity I have made of it. Well, when this happens, the Universe has always been nice to me and It will send me a much better deal.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

My workhorse LF for decades was a B&J 5x7 flatbed with both 5x7 and 4x5 backs. It may not be as eloquent as some of the competitors, but it does about everything they can, and often at a lower price. Like any flatbed, be sure the sliding mount block (if any) and the extension bed come with it. Lens boards are easily made with basic tools.

Oops, edit: The B&J uses two tripod sockets on the base rather than a sliding mount block. I never had a problem with that set-up, although the sliding mount block that some other cameras offer would be preferable.
    Last edited by Jim Jones; 17-Apr-2019 at 19:41.

Yes and the Korona tilt knob, which is on the top, behing the metal brace, can be hard to see in auction pix. But it is a must-have!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Well, the search is over. I am not buying a 5x7. Front tilt is very important for me and most cameras I have seen don't have it.

Front tilt? Why? Are you planning on doing architectural photography?

I do mostly landscape photography and I use the front tilt to get good focus of the whole thing. I can of get by with the rear tilt, but it is limited in most old cameras. I am not an expert photographer, so, if you have some information on how to go about without tilt, please share. Also, photographing product, I definitely have to have the tilt. If I want to photograph a guitar at an angle, I need the tilt. I sometimes use the tilt with the swing in one product. Of course, I use the Intrepid 4x5 and 8x10 for that. I want the 5x7 to have at list the tilt.

Sheimpflug by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

The Intrepid 4x5 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Many Anscos have front tilt (mine does)
    Here's an image I pulled off the web---oops! The 'puter says invalid file.
    Try this link https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...243_tp.jpg&f=1
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Well, the search is over. I am not buying a 5x7. Front tilt is very important for me and most cameras I have seen don't have it.
    The Ansco you linked to earlier has it. I would say 50% of Koronas do, also. Kodaks don't.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear