Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about tripod

Advice about tripod

I've been using a Toho (not Toyo) FC-45X camera with an old Tiltall Professional tripod. The camera with my heaviest lens weighs about 4 lbs, so in terms of weight is more like a medium format camera than a large format camera. My tripod weighs about 6 lbs, and is more than adequate to handle the camera. But it is somewhat large and bulky.

I haven't been doing much photography of any sort for the past two years because of pain from spinal stenosis. But in January I had surgery which fused three vertebrae. I am still in recovery, but already I have much less pain, and in a month or so, I expect to be close to pain free. So I will want to be going out with my Toho again. To this end I am considering getting a Calumet Carbon fiber tripod weighing under 4 lbs. If I get a 3 way pan head, which is what I am used to, the result will weigh about the same as my Tiltall, but if I get a small ball head, adequate for the weight, I will save one lb. In either case the resulting tripod will be easier to pack and take up less space, but clearly the ball head will have an advantage.

I am nervous about switching to a ball head. The weight of the camera and lens is not an issue, but the question is how easy will it be for me to set up the camera. I am used to leveling the camera from front to back and then from side to side. Is there any danger of an accident of some sort because of failure to tighten the head?

So what advice can any of you offer, particularly those who use ball heads with a view camera.

wmsey

Re: Advice about tripod

No need to be nervous - that's all I use with LF gear - with the exception of architectural work. A pan head is in it's element when a building or building interior is the subject - they are just faster to use.

I wrote up a little piece comparing several lightweight ball heads (since weight seems to be on you mind - I've got a back like yours and it's always on mine)

http://www.twentymillionthings.com/2...ht-ball-heads/

It's a start. There are plenty of ball heads out there. Just learn to set the drag fairly stiff and you'll be happy with most any well made ball head.

I dislike ball heads with large format cameras, I find them much too fiddly. I would use a 3-way head and suggest you look at a Manfrotto 804RC2. It works well with light-weight cameras such as your Toho, and weighs less than 2 pounds.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Leonard,

I had a back fusion back in 1994 so I empathize with you.

Do yourself a favor and don't make any decisions now. Finish your therapy and then go back to photography. Your back will let you know what you can and can't do at that point. Then you can make educated decisions.

Good luck to you!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I dislike ball heads with large format cameras, I find them much too fiddly. I would use a 3-way head and suggest you look at a Manfrotto 804RC2. It works well with light-weight cameras such as your Toho, and weighs less than 2 pounds.
    That would certainly work with my normal setup. But I also have a panoramic head weighing about 2 lbs. That might be more than the 3-way head can take easily. Of course, in principle the pan head would fit directly on the tripod legs, but then I would have to level it by fiddling with the legs.

I do in fact do quite a lot of (outdoor) architectural photography, and I often spend lots of time getting verticals vertical.

While I'm at it, can anyone recommend very light tripod legs which will easily support my Toho. I'm not committed to the Calumet Carbon fiber, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Leonard,
    I just bought a Triopo CF tripod from these guys: http://www.linkdelight.com/
    They have several models, the one I bought weighs about 2lbs and can support up to 14kg (30lbs); it also came with a ball head and cost around $220 including shipping.
    And Alan is right, too; get back to it when your body says it's ok.
    Good luck.

Hey Leonard!
    I love my RRS BH-55 for my Ebony 45S, but not for my A/S cameras past & present. For these metal view cameras it is the studio stand or pan head on heavy aluminum tripod (Gitzo Pro-Studex w/Rational 4 pan head - will be posting in For Sale section soon). If your camera weighs around the Ebony's weight (~5lbs without lens) and has a top handle (I hold onto the Ebony's when adjusting the ball head), I would consider a ball head.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Leonard,
    I just bought a Triopo CF tripod from these guys: http://www.linkdelight.com/
    They have several models, the one I bought weighs about 2lbs and can support up to 14kg (30lbs); it also came with a ball head and cost around $220 including shipping.
    And Alan is right, too; get back to it when your body says it's ok.
    Good luck.
    I can't find that tripod at that site, nor at any other site.

Leonard, I'm sure that the last thing you need is more weight and complexity, but do look into a ball leveler, either something like the Manfrotto 438 (not the only one of its kind) or a tripod with an integral leveling ball. Some of the Berlebach line have them, and I'm sure there are others that do too.

I make the suggestion because I use a Manfrotto 138 (ancestor of the 438) with a 3-axis head on top of it and rarely have to fiddle with the legs to make the pan axis vertical. Setup is fast and easy. Only fairly uneven ground forces me to level crudely with the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    I can't find that tripod at that site, nor at any other site.
    The GT-3228:
    http://www.linkdelight.com/K9T-Triop...-BallHead.html