Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact and lightweight tripod.

Compact and lightweight tripod.

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has used one of those el-cheapo SLR tripods to hold their 4x5 in a pinch. You know, the ones that weigh 2lbs, cost $45 and come with a pan/tilt head.

I need a compact (when folded), lightweight tripod that'll hold a stripped down crown graphic with a press lens (~5lb).

The camera, tripod, 3-5 film holders and a light meter will all be going on the back of a racing bike . . . . . bicycle that is. I'll be in the mountains riding with a few others and while we're not racing, we're all race... so I'd like to keep my weight handicap to a minimum.

If I were to loose my camera, light meter and film holders it'd suck but I'd be "ok" with it (Camera cost $80, film holders were free as was the light meter). I really want to avoid doubling or tripling my investment with a tripod.

So if you have used "el-cheapo" and its "worked" what did you use?

yah thanks

I have no idea where I am now.
    With a cable release and no wind at all you might be able to get that to work. I had a similar set up that that I tried to use with a speed graphic. I ended up getting a "real" tripod. Mine comes in at about 4 pounds and folds up smaller then the cheap tripod I had before. Also the cheap tripod just fell apart on me. I will post up more info on it once I'm done flying for the day, it's in my checked baggage right now.

Re: Compact and lightweight tripod.

I've used a tiny Leitz table-top tripod with my Speed Graphic in a pinch. With a good ball head it is solid as a rock. Trouble is unless you want to shoot at ground level you need a table, a good rock or a car hood to elevate it.

Jonathan

I don't even like those el-cheapo tripods for a flip camera. It's usually the head that is most flimsy; if you can use it without a head, it'll be better. Unless you're shooting at night or need extreme thin DOF, you should be able to shoot the crown handheld with iso400 film.

I have a plastic and aluminum POS made by Samsung that I bought for $40 or there abouts at walmart one day when I found myself without a tripod and needing one for a DSLR.
    Thought I would give it a try with the RB67, it holds the camera up but that is about it. I could see the camera move when I pulled the trigger. Something without a big mirror moving up and down may be fine though.

Drew Wiley

An el cheapo aluminum survey tripod would work way better. You just have to slip a 3/8-16bolt thru instead of the standard 5/8-11. You can get these for around the same price as
    what you've got in mind. Sheer crap in the long run, but might work fine as an emergency backup.

I used a Slik Sprint Pro tripod (2 lbs, $90) on a few backpacking trips with a light Nagaoka view camera. I stop short of a full recommendation, but it might work in some cases where saving weight is essential (my 4x5 backpacking outfit was 9 lbs; any more would not have been doable). I would do it again.

It does not extend to eye level, however. You have to stoop down to focus. I have better (heavier) tripods, but the Slik ends up going on most excursions because it is small, light, and adequate for my needs most of the time. I've even done 2 hr time exposures which came out good (using 35 mm), without camera shake.

But I don't know, a Graflex might be pushing it for the Sprint ... I put mine on the Bogen.

Sounds like a cool trip; good luck!

Tiltall had a short version that might fit the bill. I don't know if they're still available but if they're similar in spec to the original it should work.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Recommendation
    Inexpensive, esp for a CF tripod that can support 14kg.

Like jloen I use a Slik Sprint Mini PRO ll GM, also sold as a Calumet, it fits into a small backpack and is robust enough to hold a 5x4 camera, I've had mine a couple of years now and use it with my Crown or Super Graphic, and sometimes my Wista 45DX and it's ideal for my light weight kit in Turkey.

This isn't my main tripod but being unobtrusive it's great for travelling and can be used discreetly and doesn't add too much weight which can be imortant when the temperature's above 30°C and sometimes 40°C.

Ian